How to set low Power Modes on CY8C4013?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I tried a lot of different things, but nothing works really good.

System-Resourcen
1 digital Input with pullup (used for WakeUp Key)
1 digital Output on 3.2 PWM mode strong drive
Clock 12MHz

If I try the following:

CySysWdtDisable();
PWM.Stop();
CyDelay(50u);
Motor_SetDriveMode(Motor_DM_ALG_HIZ);
Key_PWR_SetDriveMode(Key_PWR_DM_ALG_HIZ);
CySysPmDeepSleep();

still I consume aprox. 670µA on 3.3V

But only if I run this after a fresh Power-On Reset.

If I start the PWM, and run then in the same Power-Off, i come to 1.8mA

How can I save more Power? The Hibernate-Mode don´t exists on this device.
In the Datasheet should be the Power-cosum in DeepSleep 4.5µA - this would be nice.

What must I do, to save the maximum power as possible. I will wakeup on Key-IRQ, I must not keep nothing in Ram - I can reinitialize all again.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Have you already seen this AN?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        of sure. But this is not enough.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

To explain this a little bit mor deeply:

The Chip runs in 3,3V regulator mode.
If I run this program:

int main()
{   
    Mode == Off
    CySysWdtDisable();
    CyDelay(50u);
    CyGlobalIntEnable;
    TC_ISR_StartEx(InterruptHandler);
    PWR_ISR_StartEx(Key2_ISR);
    while (true)
    {
      if (Mode == Off)  
      {
        CySysPmDeepSleep();
      }  
    }
}

Then the Chip consumes aprox. 328µA directly after Start.
If I start the PWM, and stop the PWM, to enter then in CySysPmDeepSleep();, the chip consumes 2,42mA in Sleep-Mode.

It looks, as the Processor don´t enter the sleep mode. If I go with the debugger through the code it enters the sleep mode and waits for the KeyPress to wake up.

So, I tried a other technique. 🙂

int main()
{   
    Mode=Off;
    RunFlag = 0;
    CySysWdtDisable();
    CyDelay(50u);
    CyGlobalIntEnable;
    TC_ISR_StartEx(InterruptHandler);
    PWR_ISR_StartEx(Key2_ISR);
    while (true)
    {
      if (Mode == Off)  
      {
        if (RunFlag) CySoftwareReset();
        CySysPmDeepSleep();
      }  
    }
}

So, if I wake up I set in the ISR RunFlag=1, and after enter again the sleep mode, I make before a SoftReset(). But this also dont set the initial state like a PowerOn Reset. The Chip still consumes 2,42mA.

So - how can I set the Chip to DeepSleepMode() only for one wakeUp on GPio-Pin (H/L flank).

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Can you please post your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, this I can´t. The project is for a client and the code isn´t public.

One thing: I have a digital output (the only one) and this was set to the PWM. It´s Pin 3.2
Before I enter the SeepSleep mode I will set

PWM_Stop();
    Motor_SetDriveMode(Motor_DM_ALG_HIZ);

to drive the Pin without leakage. But nothing happens... The pin still is driven by StrongMode.
Perhaps is this the Problem...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Is there a reason why you do not use PWM_Sleep()?

Why are you setting the pin to analog? I presume it is initially a digital output pin, set it to Motor_DM_DIG_HIZ

You probably know that debugging is consuming mAs.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Debugging consumes, but like you can see in my other post, I cant disable to GPIO, because I loose the chips 😞
If you disconnect the debugger, after a power-on reset the pins are disabled.
I don´t use sleep()/wakeup() because I don´t need the settings. I can stop directly like documented in the API.
I change to analoge HiZ, because its documented in the AN: "set all unused Pins to tristate." Thats what I tried.

The problem is, that after a clean PowerOnReset without starting the PWM I run in a SleepMode that consumes aprox. 328µA. This is not, what the datasheet (2,5µA) tells, but its pretty enough for me.

But if I run the PWM onces, I can stop but never I can go to DeepSleepMode.
I read also in the Documentation, if during call DeepSleepMode() the processor in a nonReady Mode the systems don´t enter the DeepSleepMode, instead the Sleep mode. And in Sleep it consumes >1.3mA.

So - it could be a reason that on component is not ready and I dont have permission to enter the DeepSleepMode.

In this case I hate the APIs, I like to programm in assembler or C++ native, to write directly to the registers of the processor.
It should be possible to write a 0 to all Power-Registers for all components to shut down, set all pins on tristate
, change the clock to loclk and wait on IRQ for the selected GPIO Pin.

Can anyone provide a document where I can found a real description of the processor? In example, the following line:

( *(reg32 *)(portPC) = (*(reg32 *)(portPC) &  ~(CY_SYS_PINS_PC_DRIVE_MODE_MASK << ((pin) * CY_SYS_PINS_PC_DRIVE_MODE_BITS))) | ((mode) << ((pin) * CY_SYS_PINS_PC_DRIVE_MODE_BITS)))

sets very simple and clear explained the mode of the Pins. Why exists a lot of wrappers of this simple functions? This makes the complete project only more complex and longer... It´s very simple to programm the chip, if I know the registers and can program directly.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Create a new project showing the error which you can upload here.

but like you can see in my other post, I cant disable to GPIO, because I loose the chips 😞 This is not acceptable and points to a hardware problem on your board / your configuration. I would address this issue first.

You may create a support case and send your project to Cypress. They will keep it confidentioal.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I´ve sent the project in a new case. Thanks.

0 Likes