Responding manually to reads

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there a way to handle client reads in the application layer?  This would be useful, for example, for a battery service where the battery voltage could be measured and returned upon a read, rather than needing to keep the GATT DB updated just in case it is read.  We are also implementing a custom encryption scheme with counter-mode encryption keying, and it would be helpful to encrypt the reads as they occur, rather than having to re-encrypt all the readable values every time the counter increments.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello mhalenka,

Could you use notifications instead?

JT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello mhalenka,

Could you use notifications instead?

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response JT.  Unfortunately, I don't believe I could satisfy all my requirements for the encrypted communications that need to be sent using notifications alone -- at least not in a practical way that I believe the customer would accept.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might have spoke too soon, we may work around the issue using notifications.  Thanks for the idea!

I still think it would be nice to have the option to handle client reads in the app layer.

0 Likes