Programming a stand alone IC not a kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dafa_1669371
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted Welcome!

Hello 
i was making a project using a cy8ckit-049
now ive finished it my question is how can i get a 42xx family ic and program it without using the whole kit  i only need the ic and the pcb will be fabricated but still i neeed the ic only to reduce te coast 
any ideas ?
thanks in advanced 

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You might use the snap-off part of the -049 kit to program your chip. You just need a 5-signal interface:

xres

sda

scl

GND

Vcc(5V)

Bob

0 Likes
dafa_1669371
Level 3
Level 3
        thanks bob but is there any other way excluding breaking the kit , the kit still needed for further development , any intermediate kit that can take the hex file and program the IC directly   
0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received
        Get another CY8CKIT -049-42xx and use it.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Breaking does not destroy the kit, it only separates programmer and board. Just make a (short) 5-pin connection from programmer to kit.

BTW: I would strongly recommend to get a new (more modern) prototyping kit. The newer models support debugging which the -049 cannot do.

Bob

0 Likes
dafa_1669371
Level 3
Level 3

thank you 
 i find difficulties getting a cypress kit to Egypt that's why i want to keep mine un touched 🙂
however its easy to get the stand alone IC that's why i want to know a generic of programming instead of getting a development kit 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

A prototype kit is a $10 article. Even when you order it from Cypress directly and get it through customs it will not be much more expensive (apart from shipping costs) than legal PSoC chips which are quite difficult to program unsoldered.

Bob

0 Likes