Bootloading from SPI / I2C memory (?)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

As I understand, the use of Bootloader component is with a Host only.

Is it possible to make some kind of custom bootloader, which reads an image from an external memory? Is there an example maybe?

Thanks.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Enter "custom bootloader" (with quotes) into the Keyword field on top of this page and you will get a bunch of informations concerning the bootloader process.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did that. Now I understand the process.

But still don't have an answer to my question.

I don't have a host in my system. The image is located on an external RAM.

The 5 CyBtldr... functions are used for communicating with some kind of host. Does this mean that my bootloader also has to be a host for itself and I need to implement the full Bootloader <-> Host protocol?

Also, my external RAM is not big enough to store a HEX file, only BIN.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

In this case (program stored in external ram/eprom) you will have to write your own bootloader.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does PSoC Creator generate a BIN file with the HEX?

What Flash functions do I need to use to access/write the flash?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There is a "System Reference Guide" from Creator help. This explains the programming of flash in depth.

You'll have to do the conversion from .hex to .bin on your PC. How / where are you going to transfer data to your external memory?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My systems contains one Master with multiple slaves. The master will broadcasts the image to slaves, which store it on their external RAM. After the image is transferred, each slave will reset itself, and the bootloader will read the image from the RAM.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You could program the required host protocol into the master. I remember that this has been done before. Start a search...

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The host protocol requires bidirectional communication. So I can't use broadcasting. There are 60 slaves in my system...

0 Likes