No kitprog_bootloader.hex file

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I purchased a CY8CKit-059 and I want to make the kitprog psoc loading custom code. I downloaded and installed the files available under http://www.cypress.com/file/139876 but I found no kitprog_bootloader.hex as mentionned in the KitProg User Guide.

Do I have to generate it using bootloadable component?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Herrmattoon

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The Kitprog is updated using a bootloader. This requires you to upload bootloadable projects only or to use an external programmer.

This could be another Kitprog or a miniprog3. A solution like this has the advantage of offering debug capabilities.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The Kitprog is updated using a bootloader. This requires you to upload bootloadable projects only or to use an external programmer.

This could be another Kitprog or a miniprog3. A solution like this has the advantage of offering debug capabilities.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

There is something I doesn't understand, in the kitprog user guide, I read :

" you will need to provide the location of the bootloader .hex file inside the bootloadable project. The bootloader .hex file is included in the kit installer directory in the following path, as shown in Figure 7-1: <Install_Directory>\<Kit_Name>\<version>\Firmware\Programmer\KitProg_Boot loader "

As I understand it, this file should already be installed in this directory, which is not a "workspace directory". But of course, if I had to think about a solution using a bootloader (without reading the guide), I would say that I have to create a bootloadable project that would be loaded in an unknown manner in the device by the usb bootloader...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

need to provide the location of the bootloader .hex file inside the bootloadable  The location of the file(s) is required, so that the bootloadable component can extract information out of it.

You will need the kitprog's bootloader .hex and .elf file. In the bootloader component under "dependencies" you will have to specify where they are stored on your PC.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok Bob, Many thanks for your support! But it seams to be so, that I have no kitprog's bootloader installed in my computer, and the question is more to know where I could find it. Definitively, it is not on my PC. Although I downloaded the required files (?).

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I would suggest you to get in contact with Cypress directly: At top of this page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I found the requested bootloader in a downloaded zip file from https://www.element14.com/community/thread/27067/l/psoc-5lp-programmer-firmware?displayFullThread=tr...

I followed the steps in the KitProg user manual using this bootloader file and it works fine. But there is an open question. Why do I find it in a forum and not in the Cypress internet page... It is a little bit annoying... (But the provided documents are really good!)

Regards,

Herrmattoon

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Why do I find it in a forum and not in the Cypress internet page...

Don't know. Kitprog2 User Guide says:

6. All custom applications developed for the PSoC 5LP should be based on the KitProg2 bootloader
.hex file, which is programmed onto the kit. Therefore, you need to provide the location of the
bootloader .hex file inside the custom application project.
The bootloader .hex file is included in the compressed archive KitProg2_Custom_App.zip in the
PSoC Programmer installation folder under Examples\Misc\KitProg2_Custom_App\. They
are also present in Kit installation directory at <Install_Directory>\<Kit_Name>\<version>\
Firmware\Programmer\KitProg2_Bootloader\.
Extract the Bootloader folder from the archive.

Bob

0 Likes
PIGO_1085426
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm new in this topic. I've read a lot of manuals, but I'm still confused.

Please tell me, which IC is target on CY8CKit-059 kit for bootloadable project: kitprog device or target device ? I've read in first post : "I want to make the kitprog psoc loading custom code" and the rest, so does it mean that project will be downloaded into kitprog device, not into target device?

Regards,

Piotr.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Piotr.

The Kitprog is made with a PSoC5LP, so there is a chance to load it with a different firmware than a programmer. But imho this is something for the hackers. Because you have got a CY8CKIT-059 there is no need to use a bootloader and / or a bootloadable project.

Bob

0 Likes
PIGO_1085426
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks a lot,

Piotr.

0 Likes