FX3 + SD3: Adding SD Card feature to USB3.0 device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using FX3 to get output in USB3.1 Gen 1 Video Class. I want to add SD Card feature to the device. I know about FX3S being a USB3.0 controller similar to FX3. However FX3S has only 16 GPIF lines while I need all 32 lines. Hence FX3S is ruled out. 

My question: Can I use SD3 after FX3 to do data storage in SD Cards? Is that advised?

Thanks,

Harshad

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Are you planning to cascade SD3 and FX3? If so, it is not possible as SD3 has no GPIF Lines. The only option is FX3S with 16 Bit GPIF Lines.

Also, are you planning to store the incoming video data in the SD card? If so, please note that this is not possible as the SD interface cannot stream incoming video data fast enough.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Are you planning to cascade SD3 and FX3? If so, it is not possible as SD3 has no GPIF Lines. The only option is FX3S with 16 Bit GPIF Lines.

Also, are you planning to store the incoming video data in the SD card? If so, please note that this is not possible as the SD interface cannot stream incoming video data fast enough.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I was planning to use SD3 after FX3 to store converted USB data. Unfortunately, SD3 has low speed specs and I am now looking for alternatives.

Thanks for the help,

Harshad

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am planning to use FX3S for recording video data to an SD card. However, I am slightly confused when you say "SD interface cannot stream incoming video data fast enough". According to the FX3S datasheet supports SD 3.0 (SDXC) UHS-1; in four-bit transfer mode could transfer up to 50 MB/s. Could you please advice.​

Best regards,

Spyros

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Data rates that my device needs to handle is much higher than 50MB/sec without compression. As a result, I commented as you have pointed out.

Regards,

Harshad.

0 Likes