Looking for Correct Chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I am looking to replace the SRAM chip in a GameBoy cartridge (Pokemon). I am looking at the FRAM and nvSRAM chips so there is no need for a battery (at least for the FRAM). It needs to be 256kbit, wide voltage and a 28-pin layout. Which chip should I be looking at? Currently, the main contender is: FM18W08-SG. What is the difference between SG and SGTR as suffixes? Also, which chips would have a real time clock built in for use in the later games which are designed to keep time?

Thank you very much!

M

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeduH_46
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Marksel,

You are right. FM18W08 is the only option available in the wide voltage range. Both SG and SGTR are same. SGTR says you will get them in a Tape & Reel package. 

We do not have a real time clock option with your specifications. But we do have in either 3V or 5V option and 48-pin package.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cy14b256ka-256-kbit-32-k-8-nvsram-real-time-clock

If you are considering serial memory for new design, then we have some  more RTC options in both serial (SPI/I2C) F-RAM and nvSRAM devices. 

Regards,

Harsha

(medu@cypress.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
MeduH_46
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Marksel,

You are right. FM18W08 is the only option available in the wide voltage range. Both SG and SGTR are same. SGTR says you will get them in a Tape & Reel package. 

We do not have a real time clock option with your specifications. But we do have in either 3V or 5V option and 48-pin package.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cy14b256ka-256-kbit-32-k-8-nvsram-real-time-clock

If you are considering serial memory for new design, then we have some  more RTC options in both serial (SPI/I2C) F-RAM and nvSRAM devices. 

Regards,

Harsha

(medu@cypress.com)

0 Likes