4200-L, Power-efficient GPIO configuration (IRQ+Wake-support)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi,

Using CY8C4247BZI-L479, I assume it's possible

I'm planning to use 56 gpio inputs from various buttons & external signals.
Requirements:

• any gpio must be able to wake from "deep sleep" (preferably hibernate and stop-mode as well)
  •     
  • gpio's should be completely interrupt-driven in run-time (as well as the requirement from sleep above)
  •    

I need some input on best practice and if someone knows how the "Interrupt Source Multiplexer" works behind the scenes, in sleep and if it draws any extra/considerable amount of power.

best david

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Have you already seen this appnote?

Bob

0 Likes
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi Bob,

That app-note is great, amazingly detailed.

I'll try and measure a bit, what I'm not sure about regardless of mode, deep-sleep/hibernate, is when say having all GPIO's set to inputs, wake on falling-edge (i.e. button shorts to gnd when pressed with internal pull-up on the gpio)
vs.
just one gpio doing the same. Would that make a difference in the overall power consumption.

Related,
I see in most app-notes they state wake-irq on rising-edge. Also doable if changing the button scheme from common gnd to all being pulled together say 1.8V and have all gpio's have a pull-down instead. Pros/cons? 

best David

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I think even defining interrupt on both edges for an input pin will not have much influence on power consumption, but you may try out.

I would always recommend to use pullups, so you do not have power at the (external, accessible, vulnerable) switches.

Bob

0 Likes