PSoC5LP Based Sonar Recording System Thesis

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I would like to thank the community here for helping me with my technical questions over the years as I have learned a few things about embedded systems programming. My thesis research focused on using one of the PSoC5LP parts to implement a very light weight sonar recording system targeted to be mounted on bats, to record their echolocation calls in flight, and offload the recorded data over an ISM band radio.

Maybe some people here might find it interesting to look at, or perhaps it could answer a few questions that some might have.

The URL can be found here:

http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5135&context=utk_gradthes

Enjoy!

Jeremy

0 Likes
2 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Jeremy, Thank you for sharing your research. Very interesting application indeed. I hope that no bats has been injured during the production of this thesis, and PSoC backpacks were released somehow.

It also reminded me another project, which took place in Carlsbad, New Mexico, USA, during the WWII, when bats were used to carry backpacks with small fire charges. The idea was to parachute them (frozen in containers) on the Tokyo. Upon landing the bats would warm-up and fly away, hiding under the roofs of then mostly wooden city. The project has extinguished itself when during the test bats wearing backpacks escaped and the whole lab burned to the ground. Funny enough, the idea worked...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odiessey1,

At the time that this paper was written, no testing had actually been performed on any animals. It was designed to be light weight enough to satisfy the requirements that biologist place on radio tracking systems for flying mammals, and it would be attached in a way were it would fall off on its own if the bat could not be found again to recover the tag. Also, any experiments on live bats would be performed under the supervision of trained bat experts to keep both the bats and us, the researchers safe.

Thanks for your kind words too!

0 Likes