Question about connections of digital output pin

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

i'm a newbie with PSOC Creator (i use PSOC Creator 3.3 with the PSOC 4 Pioneer Kit) and i made the first steps with the Lessons of PSOC Creator 101.

Now, im a little bit confused about the connections of the pins.

In the lesson there was a connection (picture 1) and in my experiment the connection of the pin disappears complete when i removed the hook "HW connection".

Can somebody explain me what's going wrong?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, heimo.

There is nothing wrong at all, keep calm 😉

The "Hardware Connection" refers to PSoC internal hardware. This must be activated when you have a signal that you want to connect your pin to. On the other hand you have the choice to set a pin's state using the API PinName_Write(). This only works with disabled "Hardware Connection".

Bob

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Heimo,

As per the datasheet

"HW Connection – This parameter determines whether the digital input terminal for an input pin is displayed in the schematic. If displayed, the pin provides a digital signal to the digital system interconnect (DSI) for use with hardware components. Independent of this selection, all pins can always be read by the CPU through registers or APIs. If this option is not selected, the terminal is not displayed and it is controlled only by software APIs."

In simple words you can choose whether to tick the option based on whether you want to control the pin only using your software API's or you want hardware control(PSoC internal hardware). 

Regards,
vsrs

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

@vsrs

"using your software API's or you want hardware control also

Not "also", you cannot control a pin's output per software API when it is connected to a PSoC internal signal.

Bob

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

@Bob,

Thanks for the correction 🙂

regards,
vsrs

0 Likes