external power supply and usb connection psoc 5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning,

I'm running a project which involves the use of Psoc 5Lp board.

I was wondering if it is possible to connect  the USB port J2 to PC and, at the same time, the Vin pin to external 12V power supply. 

The reason why is that I need to control a circuit which is powered by a 12 V power supply and meanwhile I need to communicate with the PC through the USB.

Thank you very much, 

Giada

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, but the GPIO pins cannot handle voltages higher than Vddd. To do that you need a level shifter (when ist low-speed: for inputs a simple resistor divider, for outputs a transistor).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The PSoC cannot withstand voltages > 5V

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

isn't there a regulator which converts the input voltage Vin from 12V to 5V or to 3.3V? 

0 Likes

Yes, but the GPIO pins cannot handle voltages higher than Vddd. To do that you need a level shifter (when ist low-speed: for inputs a simple resistor divider, for outputs a transistor).

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Regulator depends on the board you use. Consult your kit's datasheet on how to connect external power.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Can I use as a level shifter a voltage divider as shown in the figure below and attached?  the 12 V would come from the power source, then they would be converted into 5V thanks to this circuit and finally I would insert the 5V pin (coming from the voltage divider circuit)into the Psoc Vin pin. 

So, I would have both the USB connection through J2 and the Vin pin inserted.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

You can use resistor divider for input signals at GPIO(low speed signals)

odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        Giada, If you plug KIT-059 USB communication port into PC, it will be already up and running, so you can collect information from your other board. You do not need any other power supply source. If you goal is to monitor 12V test point, use resistor divider to bring it down to 0-2V for ADC input.   
0 Likes