Increase the TX power level in the BCM20736?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After checking the block diagram of MMP20732-DS100-R.pdf, BCM has integrated the PA in the chipset.

And using the T/R switch to separate the T/R path.

Could we design a circuit as follows? I think that it must modify the BCM source code to sync the GPIO status with internal T/R switch.

I just want to check if it is possible to increase the TX power in the BCM20736(SOC, not SiP),

Thanks

螢幕快照 2014-06-06 下午4.13.06.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Possibility = Yes.

Firmware changes are indeed required to support this application along with a new package or reuse of the packaging from another device in our portfolio as the hardware signals that turn on/off the PA and PA
ramp need to be brought out on P34, P36 and P39, which are signals not available on the 32 pin QFN SOC (package used in the module).

Since this is outside of the scope defined for the BCM2073XS modules that are supported on this forum, your best bet would be to talk our sales force at the local level and pursue a traditional Broadcom engagement under NDA.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm pretty sure an external T/R switch +PA in addition to the T/R switch that's included internally would not be supported without changes to firmware.

The 2073XS modules support up to 4dBm.

The built-in antenna has average gain of -2.5dBi, so operating with Pout of 4dBm you could expect to see 125 foot range line of sight and 40 foot range through 4 walls.

Is that sufficient?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mwf,

Yes, I know. I just want to make sure if there is any possibility to increase the TX power with changes to firmware.

If it works, we can design a specific circuit to enable the external PA if we need to extend the TX range.

Thanks

0 Likes

Possibility = Yes.

Firmware changes are indeed required to support this application along with a new package or reuse of the packaging from another device in our portfolio as the hardware signals that turn on/off the PA and PA
ramp need to be brought out on P34, P36 and P39, which are signals not available on the 32 pin QFN SOC (package used in the module).

Since this is outside of the scope defined for the BCM2073XS modules that are supported on this forum, your best bet would be to talk our sales force at the local level and pursue a traditional Broadcom engagement under NDA.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK Thanks for your reply.