PSoC5lp Band Pass Filter

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I just came across this article

http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/frequency-limits-low-pass-filter-and-bandpass-filter-u...

I was using the filter blocks in the PSoC creator. I wasn't able to achieve a band pass filter above 10KHz. Can someone give a sample code for higher frequency, if possible the limit as mentioned 250KHz.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum

You only need a realistic sample rate to perform your filter. Nyquist is 2f, but I suggest 10 to 50f gives the best results.

250kHz * 20 is 5MHz sample rate which is a bit fast for the ADC. At 20kHz you would be fine off with a sample rate of 400kHz.

I would suggest you to use DMA transfer (There are examples for that in Creator) although a bit complicate for the beginner.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum

You only need a realistic sample rate to perform your filter. Nyquist is 2f, but I suggest 10 to 50f gives the best results.

250kHz * 20 is 5MHz sample rate which is a bit fast for the ADC. At 20kHz you would be fine off with a sample rate of 400kHz.

I would suggest you to use DMA transfer (There are examples for that in Creator) although a bit complicate for the beginner.

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        spgermany7, The KBA link you referfing to is about analog switching capacitor filter in PSoC1, which are not available in PSoC5. Bob Marlowe is referring you to the Digital Filter, which needs analog signal to be digitized first.   
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. 

I was able to achieve till 35KHz. of sampling rate 384000.

Since adc del sigma has max sampling rate of 384000, we can't achieve more than it. 

Or is there a work around for this limitation.

0 Likes
        At this sampling rate it might be worth using SAR_ADC. Each SAR_ADC can sample 12-bit @ 1 MHz. By interleaving data from two SAR_ADCs, combined sampling rate can be 2 MHz. 'Kabron' was able to get over the top rate limit by using external clock to the SAR_ADC, reaching ~2 MHz @ 7-bit, and combined speed over 3 MHz http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-5-device-programming/adc-sar-overclocking-technique At some rate the Filter can hit its limits, as it takes ~20 clocks to perform the MAC. P.S. ...and Bob Marlowe types faster.   
0 Likes

My reply was shorter, I am a lousy typist 😉

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Set the PSoC clock to 72MHz and use the SAR ADC, you'll get up to 1Msps.

Bob

PS: BTW, where in Germany are you located? I live near Bremen.