Unable to debug with newer version of ARM GNU Toolchain.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

Just to play with Creator 4.0 i did installed the newest GNU ARM Toolchain (Version 5-2016-q3-update at the moment) [1], and went to Tools > Options > Project Management > ARM Toolchains, set Default Toolchain to ARM GCC Generic and the place the path to the bins of the newest toolchain on the dedicated place.

Being able to compile, generate the bin files and program the PSoC device as usual (usual meaning using the toolchain provided with Creator) but i'm not able to Debug, there's a couple of errors:

- "There was an unhandled error during the debug session. This has forced the debugger to shutdown. Try again."

- "The request to start the debugger failed. Make sure that all files with debugging information are available."

Don't know if it's related to the toolchain used, is possible to do a debug session with the default toolchain provided with Creator (both projects builded in Debug mode).

I can work with the default toolchain but i would like to know if it's possible to fix the issue.

Thanks in advance

Carlos

[1] https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

1 Solution
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received
        This issue will be resolved with the latest version of PSoC Creator4.1   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Hello Carlos,

I tried to reproduce the issue you are facing on PSoC Creator4.0 with Windows7 OS.But I was able to debug the project successfully.

What you can do is check in  the Task Manager (while starting Debugging session)whether cypsocdebugger.exe is present in Processes tab or not.

This forum post may also help-

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-creator-software/debug-directly-gdb-instead-psoc-creator

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Hi ANKS, thanks for the reply,

I did find cypsocdebugger.exe when debugging with the default toolchain, and it appears and disappears after when i try to debug with the newer version of the toolchain. I'm using Windows10, did you added the new toolchain path to the environment?. Here [1] they disable thatt option because having multiple versions of the toolchain.

Will check the GDB post, thanks for the link.

Carlos

[1] https://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/toolchain/install/#windows

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Hello Carlos,

I tried on system with Windows10 OS ,but was unable to reproduce the issue.I did exactly what you have mentioned in Interaction#1 of yours.I didn't added the new tool chain path to the environment.I downloaded the Windows Zip version of new GNU ARM Toolchain available at this link-

https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Hi ANKS,

Must be a problem with my PC then, will try to do the same on another PC and see if it works.

Thanks for the help

Carlos

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Found a couple of post that talks about the same issue:

http://www.psocdeveloper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6938
http://www.psocdeveloper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6813&start=20

I'm using Win10 x64 version so i did the following command in the command line:

> ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.0\PSoC Creator\bin\psoc_creator.exe"

Now Creator is a little bit faster but still unable to debug with the newer toolchain, i guess the problem is my PC, it's about 6 years old.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Hello Carlos,

After certain successful debugging session I am able to recreate this issue of being unable to debug.Have you observed the same after certain successful debug session

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Carlos/Anks

I have the same issue with debugging and would be interested to see if you found an answer to the problem. I have a Windows 7 PC and everything worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Some time after a Windows updates and when I updated to psoc creator 4. Programming is fine SWD is correct but debug times out. I also have a laptop with Windows 10 and everything is good on that. Just my PC stopped working.

Regards

Rod

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Rod,

I gave up on debugging with the newer toolchain, i'm only working with the toolchain that comes with Creator by default, my pc is Windows 10 64x, i haven't tried with other machines.

Hope it can be figured out soon, or a toolchain update with the next ServicePack of Creator, according to the release notes there's improvement on the code generation for Cortex M0 devices (most of the PSoC 4 families have this processor).

Carlos

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Hi, recently a newer version of the GNU ARM Embedded Toolchain was released (6.2 2016q4) so i gave it a try, now i can't compile successfuly a project that compiles fine with the default version.

The error says:

ERROR: .cyeeprom data will not fit in EEPROM
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
The command 'arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe' failed with exit code '1'.

Seems like PSoC doesn't like to use newer versions of anything 😕 .

Carlos

AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
        This issue will be resolved with the latest version of PSoC Creator4.1   
0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Great news!!, is there any planned date for the release?

Thanks

Carlos