Application upgrade from a running application

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_2112781
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hello,

I'm developing on the BCM943362WCD4 and I would like to know if it is possible to replace the existing application by another one directly from a running application, something like.

- The current running application download an update from the internet

- It updates itself and reboots

- The new application starts

I tried the ota_upgrade application but it never compiled (section `.bss' will not fit in region `SRAM') and when I also see that it does not use the Wiced framework.

Is there a possibility to accomplish what I mentioned ?

Thank you in advance,

Arthur.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ota_upgrade application is designed to run from RAM as the STM32 microprocessor cannot execute from flash while it is being reprogrammed.

I would recommend modifying your application to accept the reception of a new firmware image that is written to external flash. Once the entire image is downloaded and verified you can do a soft reset and utilize the bootloader to load a small reflash app into RAM that will reprogram the STM32 flash with the image in external memory.

The ota_upgrade application is an example of doing a download and reprogram from a single application running from RAM however we recommend utilizing external flash for temporary storage.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

ACKme, via WiConnect, allows for an over-the-air update of the core code.

Here are some good links for you:

ACKme | How do I upgrade the WiConnect firmware?

ACKme | Upgrades and Recovery

ACKme NetworksWICED Wi-Fi ForumsWICED Wi-Fi

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ota_upgrade application is designed to run from RAM as the STM32 microprocessor cannot execute from flash while it is being reprogrammed.

I would recommend modifying your application to accept the reception of a new firmware image that is written to external flash. Once the entire image is downloaded and verified you can do a soft reset and utilize the bootloader to load a small reflash app into RAM that will reprogram the STM32 flash with the image in external memory.

The ota_upgrade application is an example of doing a download and reprogram from a single application running from RAM however we recommend utilizing external flash for temporary storage.

0 Likes

Thanks I will look at his, but I don't really understand how to launch the ota_upgrade program in RAM ? I managed to compile it but then how to upload it and launch it ?

0 Likes