change UART settings on the fly

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

does anyone know if the UART settings can be changed on the fly? I think I found a way to change the baudrate, but I doesn't see a direct way to modify the number of data bits, etc.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You can use UART_WriteControlRegister to control some aspects of the configuration. AFAICS there is no way to control the number of data bits.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

You can use UART_WriteControlRegister to control some aspects of the configuration. AFAICS there is no way to control the number of data bits.

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6

Hello hli,

thank you for the response. Too bad that there's no way to change the basic settings. I'll check if there's a more flexible solution.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Provided you have enough UDBs left: create multiple UARTs, each with the appropriate bit length, and switch their pins with a MUX to the output pins.

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hli,

that would be the quick solution for proof of concept. For the end application, I want to use a more flexible UART. So I have to dig into the UART component source code and check if it can be modified.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Probably not - I would assume that the number of data bits affect how the UART is synthesized into hardware.

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6

That would be worst case 😞

From such basic peripherals like UART, SPI, etc. I'd expect that they are run-time configurable as they are on other MCUs. My problem is that for the current project I don't know at which settings the attached device will communicate, it depends on the customer.

I'll check the UDB capabilities...

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should look at PSoC® 5LP Architecture TRM document

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/technical-reference-manuals/psoc-5lp-architecture-trm

0 Likes