EMIF, more than 16 MB?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

for storing audio samples, I figure PSRAM might be an option. Is there a way to circumvent the 24bit limitation on the emif, and how involved would it be (besides soldering a BGA)?

0 Likes
6 Replies
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

the easiest way would be to simply use GPIOs as either additional address or chip select signals. This would result in 'paged' memory where each page has a size of 16 MByte. Switching between the pages must be done manually, and you have to keep track of completion of read/write operations between page switches.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. Pardon my ignorance: any compatibility issues? I noticed the higher capacity PSRAMs are 100Mhz and above, with max. PLL_OUT on the PSoC 5 being 67Mhz, or does this not apply with asynchronous mode.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

PSOC can communicate at its maximum 67MHz speed with  any device ,it doesn't depends on mode.

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Please keep in mind that the GPIOs might have lower specification regarding maximum frequency. For PSoC 5LP, it's about 33MHz for GPIO output.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I think for audio, that would be more than enough. Pity that with MCUs, larger memory is kind of a no man's land.

BGA for diy is not trivial, so I'd probably have to deadbug it. The best option I found so far seems to be the W958D6DBCX7I - 16M x 16, multiplexed address/data, otherwise you'd run out of pins on the 5 LP.

0 Likes