UDB clock source

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

I did a custom component with a State Machine that goes from one state to the next one on every rising edge of the clock input, everything run as expected using a clock component at the clk input but i would like to feed the clk using the output signal of a comparator, this seems not possible, the error suggest me to add the UDBClockEn component between the comparator output and the clk input.

I did so, connected a logic high to the enable input of the UDBClockEn and the comparator output to the ClockIn input, sadly i can clk not connect anything on the ClockOutput so i can not debug the behavior.

I remember reading somewhere that the clock signals on PSoC5LP can be provided by "any" digital signal, but i don't remember if it can be perfect %50 of duty cycle.

So my question is, any thoughts on how to solve this problem? maybe another way to generate a clk from the comparator output?

The frequency of the signal generated by the comparator output is random, that's why i would like to use it as clock source and not a proper clock component.

The project it's attached so maybe you can take a look.

Thanks in advance

Carlos

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

carlos,

without knowing all details of your measurements, instead of two comparators, can you simply amplify analog signal e.g. 100x times so it becomes fully saturated with fast transitions from 0 to 5V, becoming, almost like a "digital" signal? Then it can be additionally passed through single comparator for further conditioning.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
        Try Sync component instead of ClockEnable   
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

The problem is that i want to clock the custom component only on the rising edge of the comparator output, i don't want to use extra clocks, that's why i was looking to clock the custom component with the comparator output signals.

After posting the question i attached a logic analyzer to the comparator outputs and the upper one seems really noisy (see attached image), and also found a EEVBlog video about comparators and schmitt triggers [1], that implementation seems interesting, i will try to do it, it uses just 1 comparator and 3 external resistors, instead of 2 comparators and 2 VDACs as my first try.

Did a quick test using the onboard switch to provide the clock (see attached project), with this i "confirmed" that any digital signal of any duty cycle can be used as clock source for UDB components, the switch is debounced so i ended up using a clock component, but the signal looks clean on the logic analyzer, so the problem on the first project seems to be the noisy signal output of the comparator, now i can follow with the datapath programming and solve noise on the comparator output later lol.

Thanks for the answer, will post any follow-ups.

Carlos

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht48vv0rQYk

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

carlos,

without knowing all details of your measurements, instead of two comparators, can you simply amplify analog signal e.g. 100x times so it becomes fully saturated with fast transitions from 0 to 5V, becoming, almost like a "digital" signal? Then it can be additionally passed through single comparator for further conditioning.  

0 Likes