difference between pinoneer kit vs evaluation board vs cypress module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello every one. I am new to cypress kits. Besides my background is in mechanical engineering. so please bare with me. My question might frustrate many:

I have a cypress pioneer kit CY8CKIT-042-BLE. It came with a base board and two other chips called PSOC (CY8C4247LQI-BL483) and a PROC (CYBL10563-56LQXI). I have been playing that for last couple of days. Is there is a cypress module similar to CY8C4247LQI-BL483 for final chip that would in production.

I see there is cypress module called CYBLE-224110-00 EZ-BLE. I also see that there is an evaluation board to get started with that called CYBLE-224110-EVAL EZ-BLE™ PSoC XT/XR Evaluation Board (http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyble-224110-eval-ez-ble-psoc-xtxr-evalu...). It also says that CYBLE-224110-EVAL EZ-BLE™ is compatible with CY8CKIT-042-BLE pioneer kit.

I want to know if I develop a code with this pioneer kit using PSOC, can I bypass checking it on evaluation board CYBLE-224110-EVAL EZ-BLE, and  directly program it on CYBLE-224110-00 EZ-BLE.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Here is some information of the pin differences between PSOC Ble and Easy Ble.

So check these so you don't have pin differences in your design.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

As usual: That depends.

The modules, as the CYBLE-224110-00, are based on a PRoC design. That means: fewer resources than a CY8C4247LQI-BL483.

But you can do it the other way: Design for your module chip CYBLE-224110-00. When the hardware placement is done and the build succeeds without any warning, you can switch to your CY8C4247LQI-BL483 chip on your BLE-Kit and develop and debug your software. At final switch back to CYBLE-224110-00 (there might be some pin changes!).

You will always need a build for the chip you want to program.

Next question: how to program? You'll need a programmer to flash your chip, not only the software. Cheapest solution would be to buy a CY8CKIT-043 and use the snap-off programmer (can debug also). So the question with this configuration is: why switching from one target device to the other while developing.

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Here is some information of the pin differences between PSOC Ble and Easy Ble.

So check these so you don't have pin differences in your design.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bobgoar and Bob. By combining you two answer's, now I have more detailed knowledge about cypress BLE. You answers are very helpful. could you please answer one more question: is there a module compatible to pioneer kit's PSOC BL383 and PROC 56LQXI. If not, why doesn't cypress provide two evaluation boards which can help me straight move from pioneer kit to  production?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

No need for 2 development kits. Just put the PRoC 5671 BLE module onto the baseboard and design for that chip.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bob. very helpful.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome!

Bob

0 Likes