Can't program BCM920737TAG on OSX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

SDK: 2.0.1

Board: BCM920737TAG

Following README.txt:

$ sudo ./make automation_io-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download  VERBOSE=1

(sudo in case permissions were somehow breaking it).

Download failed. This version of the SDK only supports download to BCM20732A1, BCM20736A1 and BCM20737A1 devices

$ cat build/automation_io-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/detect.log

com_port.txt

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem   Could not establish transport connection: failed to open port: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

Board switch settings:

miniswitch all 8 on

sw2=up=vusb, sw3=down=reg

Things I tried:

* sudo mkdir /var/lock; sudo chmod a+rw /var/lock

* in Preferences/Network, mark inactive LG C...Modem and Bluetooth PAN

* in Preferences/Bluetooth, uncheck All 3 devices

* sudo lsof | grep -i cu.bluetooth # no match

* press reset on board.

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, JT

I ran that command, and now the download command appears to work, if I include the UART argument.

I'm tied up right now, but when I get time I'll sniff the packets coming from the dev board.

To answer your previous questions:

1.  Recovery wasn't successful - but now it is, with the command you just sent.

2.  Still using command line; I tried to get Eclipse to work, but hit snags; don't want Eclipse involved long term.

Good luck with the wild fires down there.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed FTDI driver 2.2.18 from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

Still fails, but I get more lines in detect.log:

$ cat build/automation_io-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/detect.log

com_port.txt

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem   Could not establish transport connection: failed to open port: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem

/dev/cu.usbserial-007013FAB   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.usbserial-007013FAA   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1   Could not establish transport connection: Failed to recognize the connection transport

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Asher,

We are in the process of updating the manual, but here are some excerpts:

1. Make File Path config: Project->Properties->C/C++>Builder
  2. Enter in the following Build command and Build directory as shown below and then click OK.

Screenshot from 2014-05-05 14_25_26.png

1. In the Eclipse program window, in the right pane, at the top next to the Outline tab, select the Make Target
    tab (green bull's-eye icon).
  2. Right-click the WICED-Smart-SDK root directory name, and then, from the shortcut menu, select New.

1. In the Create Make Target | Target Name field, enter heart_rate_monitor-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download
  2. Click OK to dismiss the window.Screenshot from 2014-05-05 14_29_59.png

Does that look similar to what you did?

You need to click the Reset Button as well for the code to download:

BCM2073x.PNG

Let me know if this helps.

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Asher,

A few more things:

1. Did you change the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0?
  2. By default, the USB port has rw permissions only to user:group roout:dialout
  3. so either (a) you need to be root when running the SDK or
  4. (b) be part of dialout group or (c) change the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0 to give you permission
  5. Something like sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

Let me know if this helps.

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, JT.  Thanks for your response.

I have not tried Eclipse, just the command line.  If you think Eclipse will solve this, I'll try it.

1. There is no /dev/ttyUSB0 on this Mac.  The perms on the relevant devices appear open:

$ ls -l /dev/tty.*

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,   4 Feb 13 11:49 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,   6 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,   0 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,   2 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,  10 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   33,  12 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAB

Also I did run the SDK as root.  That's what sudo does.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Asher,

Go ahead and try it and let us know what happens.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, when I try to download, two LEDs flash red on the board in succession: D16 and D17.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

JT, please escalate this ticket.

I want to use the commands in the SDK's README.txt.

Specifically:

$> make automation_io-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Asher,

Here are some notes and suggestions:

1. It looks like you found the TAG Board and when you see the two LEDs light up when you try the download
  2. When the TAG Board is first plugged in, the handle should read:
  3. /dev/tty.usbserial-XXXXX
  4. In my case, it's tty.usbserial-A603AG2T
  5. What you have is correct:
  6. crw-rw-rw-1 root  wheel   33,  10 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA
  7. crw-rw-rw-1 root  wheel   33,  12 May 12 14:40 /dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAB
  8. Before we go to the Recover Step (12) below, let's try this:
  9. From the SDK directory (should be Applications/WICED/(WicedSmartSDK folder.. See picture below) 1. cd Tools 2. ./DetectAndId/OSX/DetAndId -TRAN UART -IDFILE ../Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32/BCM20737A1_IDFILE.txtpastedImage_4.png
  10. The output should indicate: /dev/tty.usbserial-XXXXXXX   HCI    BCM20737A1
  11. If this works, then let's do a Recovery:
  12. make .... UART=/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA recover

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, JT

$ ./DetectAndId/OSX/DetAndId -TRAN UART -IDFILE ../Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32/BCM20737A1_IDFILE.txt

/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAB     UNKNOWNTYPE   UNKNOWNID

/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA             HCI   BCM20737A1

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync     UNKNOWNTYPE   UNKNOWNID

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2     UNKNOWNTYPE   UNKNOWNID

Segmentation fault: 11

I tried the recover command from the root directory of the SDK:

$ make .... UART=/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA recover

wiced_toolchain_common.mk:178: *** incorrect 'make' used (make) - please use:  (Windows) .\make.exe <target_string>    (OS X, Linux) ./make <target_string>.  Stop.

$ ./make .... UART=/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA recover

Makefile:188: *** Platform makefile not found: Platforms//.mk.  Stop.

I tried it without the four periods:

$ ./make UART=/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA recover

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Apps CHANGELOG.txt Doc Drivers LICENSE.txt Makefile Platforms README.txt Tools WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1.7z Wiced-Smart asher-detect-log-unplugged.txt build com_port.txt include lsof.res make make.exe version.txt wiced_toolchain_common.mk Conversion failed Apps CHANGELOG.txt Doc Drivers LICENSE.txt Makefile Platforms README.txt Tools WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1.7z Wiced-Smart asher-detect-log-unplugged.txt build com_port.txt include lsof.res make make.exe version.txt wiced_toolchain_common.mk

Failed to open input file build//.ota.hex

OTA image footprint in NV is 0 bytes

Recovering platform ...

Apps CHANGELOG.txt Doc Drivers LICENSE.txt Makefile Platforms README.txt Tools WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1.7z Wiced-Smart asher-detect-log-unplugged.txt build com_port.txt include lsof.res make make.exe version.txt wiced_toolchain_common.mk Recovery failed - retry Apps CHANGELOG.txt Doc Drivers LICENSE.txt Makefile Platforms README.txt Tools WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1.7z Wiced-Smart asher-detect-log-unplugged.txt build com_port.txt include lsof.res make make.exe version.txt wiced_toolchain_common.mk

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello asher,

Sorry that I am late getting back to you.  I live in Carlsbad, California and have been in the Fire Zone ready to evacuate so it's been a bit crazy - But I am back.

Questions:

1. It looks like you were not successful with Recovery?
  2. Have you switched to the Eclipse SDK?

We are checking your error messages now and will get back to you shortly.

Thanks for your patience.

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Asher,

Try this command:

./make automation_io-BCM920737TAG_Q32  UART=/dev/tty.usbserial-007013FAA recover

Sorry this wasn't clear.

Let me know if this works

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, JT

I ran that command, and now the download command appears to work, if I include the UART argument.

I'm tied up right now, but when I get time I'll sniff the packets coming from the dev board.

To answer your previous questions:

1.  Recovery wasn't successful - but now it is, with the command you just sent.

2.  Still using command line; I tried to get Eclipse to work, but hit snags; don't want Eclipse involved long term.

Good luck with the wild fires down there.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

this picture is wrong .. reset is the rightmost button isnt it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think so, if you have the buttons on top, the PCB oriented so that USB is on top, the big header below.

SW5 (Reset) it the right bottom, quite above the SW4 DIP switches.

0 Likes