Not able to establish connection between Pioneer kit and TeraTerm

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello PSOC enthusiasts: I am trying run one of the projects published at PSOC website called UART_BLE (https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE/blob/master/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day020_BLE...).

Since the components have upgraded since this project was last written, I updated the components as recommended by PSOC creator. Now when I run this program, I dont see message appearing on TeraTerm or Putty. The document suggests that as soon as connection is established, I should see TeraTerm publishing a set of messages.

I am attaching the project in case some one has time to look at it. Could anybody have a look at it and help me.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Can you tell us which of the Cypress kits you are using for the project?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob. I am using cypress CYC8KIT 042 BLE kit. Right now I am using PSOC module of that kit.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Okay the KitProg doesn't support the Flow control and it was turned on in the program you sent.  You didn't have any pins assigned to CTS and RTS so you were not using it.  Also you need to have the Dongle or another Ble board to check this program all you will get with out it is one screen with the sign on information. That is why the example #20  had a Central and Peripheral program.  You only send us one of them the Central.   Also I turned off the Flow control as it was enabled.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey Bobgoar. Thank you again! Now that yoy mentioned FLOW_COTROL part, I started reading about it. I skimmed over that part earlier, and given my zero background in electronics I didn't realize its significance. I paste a link here in case some confronts a similar question: http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/flow-control-pins-usb-uart-bridge-controller-gen-i-and...

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

CTS and RTS were used years ago to prevent over run of the UART equipment as it was slow. They made the flow control pins for that reason.  It is still around but the devices are so much faster it is not needed.  Also the PSOC devices are running at 3.3 or 5 Volts and most UART devices and run at 12 volts.  If you plan to use the PSOC devices with a standard UART device you will need an interface chip to handle the voltage differences like this device.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting! Thank you Bobgoar. 

0 Likes