CY8CKIT-044 PSoC® 4 M-Series Pioneer Kit for

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes given 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello, recently learned of the PSoC microcontrollers by watching some youtube clips. It is very exciting and I want to get the CY8CKIT-044 PSoC® 4 M-Series Pioneer Kit and start playing with it. This will be my first experience with a microcontroller. I do have one question. Are there some general purpose input/output pins that I can use? If so how many? Also, could this board power a small 3V motor? I really would like to do a rotary sensor experiment like this youtube clip: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBKTZw_xi4

Can I use this kit to do something similar?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
5 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Well Joe there are at least 34 I/O pins that come out to a socket. As far as motors are concerned you will need an interface circuit to protect the Psoc chip from EMF feedback that could destroy the device.  If you look for Arduino motor  Shields that will plug right into your Kit.  They are fairly inexpensive. You could use CapSense for the sensors of the position.

0 Likes
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5

bobgoar,

HI, thanks for responding to my post. I will look into purchasing the motor shields. Say, if I wanted to build my own interface circuit do you know of any reference designs that could help?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received
        I would do an Internet search for motor drive circuits and also a search for motor drive IC's then you should be able to make a project that will work.   
0 Likes
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5

bobgoar,

HI, can you take a look at this:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

Will this one work?

Last, can you recommend any books on microcontrollers? I found some good ones by Jonathan W. Valvano such as: Embedded Systems: Introduction to Arm® Cortex™-M Microcontrollers. I wondering if this is a good book for beginners.

Thanks!

Joe 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

@joe

The way you get in contact with a "normal" MCU is via the programming language, in case of PSoCs it is C-Language. So get hands on a good manual like this one.

You may, as a beginner, look at the MCU as a black box which will performs its job. Fact is that you may interchange the C-source between a PSoC 1,3,4 and 5 (with few changes). So there is no need (yet) to understand all the capabilities of an ARM M0 in the beginning.

What tells the PSoCs from the rest of the world is: Internal hardware. When you install the IDE named Creator 4.0 you get a component catalog with "components" which you can place on the schematic and wire them accordingly.

For each component there is a datasheet just a mouse click away telling all the APIs and the function for that component.

When you know which components are available for you, you will be able to select the right ones to solve your project's needs.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes