UART communication with Bluetooth module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I need any Bluetooth module with ability to communicate with my MCU via UART by some commands like AT. For example my MCU sends via UART to Bluetooth module AT command RoleSwitch or PassKeyAccept and so on (example of STMicroelectronic Bluetooth module).
Does Cypress have Bluetooth modules that meeting my requirements ?
I can buy these models: 

CYBLE-012012-10
CYBLE-012011-00
CYBLE-022001-00
CYBLE-014008-00

Is it possible to use it with AT like commands ? 
Unfortunately I must use only STM32 MCU but any Bluetooth module.
Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would recommend that you look into the new EZ-Serial firmware that is now being provided by Cypress:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

It does not use AT commands exactly, but it offers both a text-based and binary-based protocol for control from external hosts (serial terminal with text or MCU with binary for better efficiency). The current version on the web as of this moment is v1.0.1, but it should be updated to v1.0.2 within the next few days. This version has some stability improvements and bugfixes compared to v1.0.1, and it is what I would recommend.

You can look through the existing User Guide document (available from that page) to gain an understanding of how the platform works and what it is capable of. Note that all four of the modules you listed are supported by v1.0.1 and the upcoming v1.0.2 release.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Cypress Ble modules do not work with AT commands. They use the Ble 4.2 interface API.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Can you please provide direct link on Ble 4.2 interface API ? I did find > 300 documents ...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would recommend that you look into the new EZ-Serial firmware that is now being provided by Cypress:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

It does not use AT commands exactly, but it offers both a text-based and binary-based protocol for control from external hosts (serial terminal with text or MCU with binary for better efficiency). The current version on the web as of this moment is v1.0.1, but it should be updated to v1.0.2 within the next few days. This version has some stability improvements and bugfixes compared to v1.0.1, and it is what I would recommend.

You can look through the existing User Guide document (available from that page) to gain an understanding of how the platform works and what it is capable of. Note that all four of the modules you listed are supported by v1.0.1 and the upcoming v1.0.2 release.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you jrow. Your answer is very helpful. 

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

@jrow Thanks I was not aware of this new feature of the EZ-Ble module I will have to study it.  I guess it just came out in 11/16 of this year.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

@jrow do you have any example programs that I could try?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The User Guide has many example configuration snippets that you can use to walk through feature tests, but if you're looking for a host project to communicate with the module that way, the only current example is the basic host demo for the PSoC 4 that is part of the Host API Protocol Library archive on the same page. It is thoroughly commented and demonstrates various API method transmission and processing options.

Section 5 in the User Guide also documents the Host API Library architecture and host-side program flow.