do you need to use eclipse with the fx3?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty new to all of this stuff, and am working on a project with the CYUSBKIT-003 EZ-USB FX3. I know that Eclipse is included in the SDK to use with programming this board, but I've never used an IDE before and have heard that Eclipse is not the best to start using in the beginning. Is it possible to use a different platform to program the FX3, or does it have to be Eclipse?

The main problem is that I am trying to create a GUI to control some code on the Eclipse board (which isn't on the board yet, but hopefully I can figure out something soon). I was able to figure out how to create a GUI on Visual Studios 2010, but I don't know how to bring it over to Eclipse (or if it's even possible). I've tried figuring out how to get some of the example programs to work in Eclipse, but I just keep running into problems. Working in VS2010 would be much easier for me, as I have already drafted some code there.

Any and all help/input is appreciated! 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

FX3 SDK is based on Eclipse and we do not provide support for any other platform. We have a application note which will help you in getting started with FX3- This will guide you how to import/build the firmware and where to find the examples. Please refer to section 8 

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an75705-getting-started-ez-usbr-fx3tm

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Nishant! I read the app note you sent and am getting more comfortable with the platform. Do you know how I could create a GUI to integrate with my code on Eclipse? Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want, you can design a GUI to satisfy your requirement. But, the GUI cannot by iteself build the firmware. You can use the GUI to enable or disable certain snippets, but you will have to build the firmware again to generate the binaries. Else, you can have an applicaiton, where you already have some predefined configuration and the GUI will select one of them. But if you plan to use the GUI to configure as per your wish, you should know that the GUI should be able to select and enable the corresponding blocks and involde the eclipse to build the firmware.

0 Likes