Cannot upgrade firmware on CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

In PSoC Creator, I received the message that I needed to upgrade the firmware on the kit.  So, I went to the PSoC Programmer and attempted to upgrade the firmware, but it failed.  How can I get the kit back to factory settings?

Here's what I do, from scratch (no programs open, kit disconnected):

• Open PSoC Programmer (Version 3.25.0.2504), output shown:
  •    

​                                                   | Select Port in the PortList, then try to connect
Device set to CY8C4127FNI-BL483 at 8:47:13 AM      | 131072  FLASH bytes
Device Family set to CY8C4xxx-BLE at 8:47:12 AM    | 
Active HEX file set at 8:47:12 AM                  | C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\Programmer\KitProg\KitProg.cyacd
                                                   |  
                                                   | Users must be aware that the following PSoC device should not be powered or programmed at 5V. Doing so will cause damage to the device: CYRF89xxx
Session Started at 8:47:12 AM                      | PPCOM Version 22.0

• I then connect the CY8CKIT-042-BLE PIONEER BASEBOARD.  LED2 (status) starts solid, but quickly goes to 4Hz flash.  PSoC Programmer output window displays (in red):
  •    

Connected at 8:48:24 AM                            | KitProg bootloader device is detected
                                                   | Please close all ports, then navigate to the Utilities tab and click the Upgrade Firmware button to recover Bridge

• On the Utilities tab, the Upgrade Firmware is now clickable.  No ports are listed in the Port Section window.  I click Upgrade Firmware and get:
  •    

Firmware Update Finished at 8:52:42 AM             | 
                                                   | FAILED! Bootloader Port is not connected!
                                                   | Initializing...
Firmware Upgrade Started at 8:52:42 AM             | 
Firmware Upgrade Requested at 8:52:42 AM           | 

What am I doing wrong?  User's Guide says flashing LED indicates "LED starts blinking at power up, if bootloadable file is corrupt."  Clearly the device is connecting, but I can't get it out of the corrupted state.

Any ideas?

Other info:

• I'm using the kit version install from:  CY8CKIT042BLEKITSetupOnlyPackage_RevSE_3-25-16.exe
  •     
  • I'm running on Windows 8.1 on VMWare on an MAC
  •     
  • Pioneer baseboard silkscreen version: 600-60194-01 REV03
  •     
  • Pioneer baseboard sticker version: 121-60158-01 rev 06
  •    

Brian

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello

This is an issue with compatibility with VMware version. You will need to degrade the VMware version to Version 7.1.3.

Thanks,

Hima

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Self-answer:

I could NOT get this to work on my Windows 8.1 on VMWare on Mac setup.

However, I installed the tools on an old Windows 7 laptop, and I was able to Upgrade Firmware without issue.  Once that was done, I was able to bring the device back to my Windows 8.1 VMWare setup, and reflash the firmware on the daughter card without issue.

Brian

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Can you please tell us which version of MAC you are using.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello 

Also please let us know the VMware version.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go:

Mac 

• System Version:    OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
  •     
  • Kernel Version:    Darwin 13.4.0
  •     
  • Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  •     
  • Model Identifier:    MacBookPro10,2
  •     
  • Processor Name:    Intel Core i5
  •     
  • Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz
  •     
  • Number of Processors:    1
  •     
  • Total Number of Cores:    2
  •     
  • L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  •     
  • L3 Cache:    3 MB
  •     
  • Memory:    8 GB
  •    

VMWare Fusion: Version 8.5.3 (4696910)

Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit

Thanks!

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

This seems to be an issue with the VMware . I have reported this to our software team.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello

This is an issue with compatibility with VMware version. You will need to degrade the VMware version to Version 7.1.3.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

This issue is a defect in VMWare 8/8.5.  It has been reported to them so they can fix it.  What appears to be happening is when a USB device re-enumerates the VMWare flags the new driver as failing to load after a few seconds.  The software then removes the device from the guest OS.

So that's the bad news.  The good news is there appears to be a very simple work around that does not require you to change versions of VMWare.  When you hit "Upgrade Firmware" the device re-enumerates into bootloader mode (blinking led).  If VMWare removes the device (you may get a message about the driver failing to load) and the upgrade fails, unplug the device.  Plug it back in and it should still be in bootloader mode (blinking LED).  If not, consult the kit documentation on how to force bootloader mode.  The device will not show up on the left in Programmer but you should see a red message saying KitProg bootloader device detected.  Click "Upgrade Firmware" again, and the upgrade will take place normally.  After it finishes verifying you may need to unplug it and plug it back in once more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I'll give this a try next time I run into this...

0 Likes

Hello,

The issue is gone with  the newest releases of Mac OS and VMware and no issue is observed for VMWare 10.0.0 + Mac10.13 setup.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes