How to start, with which module ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I start with cypress products and have a hard time understanding the product range and tools.

I am looking for a module totally CE certified to make uart between PC / tablet / smartphone and a BLE device (virtual UART over BLE). If possible with SPI connection.

I see this module
http://www.cypress.com/part/cyble-212019-00
Is it a good choice ? Are there other modules to advise?

I can not understand if it is necessary to program them with a firmware or if uart over BLE is a functionality by default.

Are there any tutorials, sample applications and sample code (C code) for these modules (Ideally for UART over ble) ?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Charly.

Yes, it is necessary to program the modules which needs the PSoC Creator IDE and a programmer like the Miniprog3 or a Kitprog which is (a snap-off) part of most (non BLE) prototyping kits.

PSoCs are a bit different from "normal" BLE modules:. They contain some quite flexible hardware which you may use for your project. The hardware includes interfaces (SPI, I2C,UART,BLE ...), analog blocks (ADC, DAC, OpAmp ..) and digital blocks (Timer, counter, PWM, Quad decoder, status and control registers...). Even some PSoCs contain configurable digital logic that can be set up using HDL (Hardware Description Lamguage). All that for a quite reasonable price. The BLE modules are CE certified, while the "naked" PSoC BLE chips need a certification when designed onto a self-made PCB.

When PSoC Creator is installed you have access to a lot of example projects and a bunch of documentation concerning all the components inside the PSoC.

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Charly.

Yes, it is necessary to program the modules which needs the PSoC Creator IDE and a programmer like the Miniprog3 or a Kitprog which is (a snap-off) part of most (non BLE) prototyping kits.

PSoCs are a bit different from "normal" BLE modules:. They contain some quite flexible hardware which you may use for your project. The hardware includes interfaces (SPI, I2C,UART,BLE ...), analog blocks (ADC, DAC, OpAmp ..) and digital blocks (Timer, counter, PWM, Quad decoder, status and control registers...). Even some PSoCs contain configurable digital logic that can be set up using HDL (Hardware Description Lamguage). All that for a quite reasonable price. The BLE modules are CE certified, while the "naked" PSoC BLE chips need a certification when designed onto a self-made PCB.

When PSoC Creator is installed you have access to a lot of example projects and a bunch of documentation concerning all the components inside the PSoC.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to butt in, as Bob says, the data sheet says that the CYBLE-212019-00 is CE certified (■ Certified to FCC, IC, MIC, KC, and CE regulations):

see http://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cyble-212019-00cyble-212023-10-ez-bletm-proctm-modul...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Note, there is now a default "EZ-Serial" firmware image that started being flashed on all new CYBLE modules during manufacture as of the first business week of 2017. This may provide the behavior that you are looking for; it is not as flexible as a completely custom application built in PSoC Creator, but it does have a great deal of functionality including transparent serial (UART) data using the CYSPP profile.

The pre-compiled firmware image and a detailed User Guide are available on this page:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Everytime I see someone wanting to do UART over BLE I cringe inside. This is so totally against what BLE is intended for and how it works 😞 (and then probably they complain that the battery life is so sohrt...)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answers

I installed PSoC Creator and started trying to understand something  🙂

I understand that there are certified modules and others not, my worries are more on the rest of the criteria ; I see all modules identical since I do not need PWM, ADC or other application blocks...

I do not want to cringe hli, I hear the message and I try to understand profiles, client/server and co...it is not easy !

My need :
I have devices that measure parameters on machines tool for diagnostics.
The devices are battery powered and remain alone for several weeks or months.
At startup or from time to time I need to parameterize them and visualize in real time the measured values. This represents a few minutes or hours max.
Today I do this with usb but for reasons of waterproofness, ergonomics and access, it would be convenient to do it in Bluetooth.
I also need to download the data :16 or 32MB in one transfer (make with usb today).
The required radio range is from 1 to 4 meters max.
If the transfer speed of the 32MB data is slower than usb (full speed today) it is not a problem.

Should I create a custom profile with all of my measured parameters : 1 characteristic for each measured parameter in a same custom profil ?
What for the 32MB dowload ?

@Bob Marlowe : OK with 10$ Prototyping Kit for testing and debugging but how should we do in production to not have to solder one by one the modules on the kit?

Thank you very much for you help

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You'll need to solder the module onto a piece of PCB to provide buffered power and connection for the Rx and TX. You may use posts and (short) cable to the Kitprog to program the module.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

ouha

I discover this :

https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing/do-i-need-to-list-qualify-my-...

https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing/qualification-listing-fees

Just impossible for a production of a few tens or hundreds of pieces

This economic model is very bad or I did not understand anything...

...Then, what other solution that the bluetooth ? 😞

0 Likes

We hit the same wall, the BT org is a bunch of pirates, and their model of "companies above and below $1M in revenue" what a joke, is clearly designed to allow big companies an unfair advantage.

BUT, the BT org is just that an organization not a government entity, you can make and sell a BT/BLE product you just cannot use there registered trademarks, makes is a bit more difficult to market, but I will tell you, consumers do not care.

0 Likes