Send shortened Local Name in Advertisement and Scan Response Packets

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

in my design I initially set the Local Name to a string which is 9 characters long in the configuration GUI (GAP Settings -> General -> Device Name). In my Advertisement packet I want to transmit the name shortened to 5 and in the Scan Response packet shortened to 25 characters.

When I try to set the "Short name length" of the Local Name in the Scan Response packet in the configuration GUI (GAP Settings -> Scan response packet) to 25 it always jumps back to 9 (because my inital Local Name is 9 characters long).

I implemented a feature to change the Local Name via a custom service, which works quite well.

The only problem is, that when I set the name to something longer than 9 characters (longer than the initial name), the Local Name will still be shortened to 9 characters in the Scan Response packet.

How can I update the Scan Response packet, so the Local Name will always be transmitted with a maximum length of 25 characters?

0 Likes
1 Reply
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi,

How are to setting the device name greater than 9 character length? Is it by using the CyBle_GapSetLocalName() API or by changing the adv data? If API , then it is expected behavior. Because, the API will take the maximum length from the component GUI name.

Thanks,
Anjana

0 Likes