Em EEPROM with CY8CKIT-049-42xx Board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I'm trying to use Emulated EEPROM to store some data and I'm running into the known problem with the Bootloader. After a power cycle my program wont start anymore. I don't own any hardware programmer so it doesn't seem possible to update the Bootloader itself. With the prototyping kit alone it looks like I'm stuck. Or is there another way?

It seems like an unnecessary task to include the Bootloader image in the Bootloadable component this way.

Many Greetings!
Remo

0 Likes
11 Replies
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Remo,

Please see the following KBA 

http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-emulated-eeprom-component-bootloadable-project-k...

I hope this solves your issue.

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Nope it doesn't. As I wrote in my initial post I already know about this article and the Bootloader itself doesn't seem to get updated when programming with the Bootloader host. So what is the point in including the Bootloader Image in the Bootloadable component?

Many Greetings!
Remo

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Post your program so we can check it too see what the issue is.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is: Even though you include the Bootloader image in the Bootloadable component, the "Bootloader Host" wont write the new Bootloader image but only the new program image. As far as I found out you need a Cypress programmer to update the Bootloader image itself. Which makes me wonder about the point of configuring the Bootloader image in the Bootloadable component.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I found a German Pdf that explains how to do it with the CY8CKIT-049-42xx Board  but I was unable to translate it.  It can be done.  I would upgrade to an 043 board it is sure to work with that board.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you please link to that PDF? I'm able to understand German.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi cypress.com_1828686,

"...I don't own any hardware programmer so it doesn't seem possible to update the Bootloader itself. "

Yes, you need an external programmer like miniprog3 or Kitprog Part from CY8CKIT-043/059

"Could you please link to that PDF?"

Perhaps he means this PDF: 

http://www.psoc-community.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30

Reiner

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies! Some systems can update running programs and some can't. That's acceptable and I found another solution to my problem.

But it is still bugging me that I have to configure the Bootloader image in the Bootloadable component. What is the point? How does it affect programming? My currently configured Bootloader image doesn't match the default on the chip anymore but it doesn't seem to harm programming.

Many Greetings!
Remo

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Here is the information I found on a German site.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zitat Seite 3: "Ein neuer Bootloader kann nur mit einem externen Programmer wie dem Miniprog3 oder dem KITProg aus dem CY8CKIT-059 gebrannt werden. Der Bootloader kann sich NICHT mit einem Bootloadable Projekt selbst überschreiben."

Vielen Dank und viele Grüße!
Remo

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Remo,

Translating your last statement for other members :"A new boot loader can only be burned with an external programmer such as the Miniprog3 or the KITProg from the CY8CKIT-059. The bootloader can NOT overwrite itself with a bootloadable project itself." - As the device is supposed to be a pure bootloadable kit, this is what expected from the device.

\\ But it is still bugging me that I have to configure the Bootloader image in the Bootloadable component. \\ - This is because of .cyacd file generated. The file format contains the row number of each line and it is decided based on the bootloader component. It will decide from where the bootloadable code will start in the memory. That is why setting the correct dependency is important.

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes