using SP605 instead of SP601 in AN84868 - Configuring an FPGA over USB Using Cypress EZ-USB® FX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ritu_2178811
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello,

Can we use SP605 instead SP601 in the AN84868. The meazzine connectors have the same pinout so I think that if I can modify the fpga source code, I can run the examples in the application note.

Can you please comment on this?

thanks

rifo

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

we have tested with SP601. If the SP605 has the same harware connections/pinout and running at the same IO domain, then you can use it for this. For FX3 it doesn't matter, but you need to make sure that the volatage and timing requiremnets are met.

0 Likes
ritu_2178811
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have asked this in xilinx forum and got the below answer. To summarize, all voltages on the FMC connector are set to 2.5V on SP605 and SP601

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/Does-an-FMC-Card-designed-for-SP601-work-with-SP60...

Did you change the bank voltages on SP601, does default 2.5V is enough for fx3 superspeed kit?

thanks

rifo

0 Likes
ritu_2178811
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

were you able to check whether 2.5V default bank voltage on FMC connectors are okey. I think that you didn't make any changes to the bank voltage settings on the FPGA ( that would have been told on the manual  )  but can you please still confirm it? 

Also if we change the voltage to 3.3V, so that parallel bus signals swing between 0 - 3.3V, wouldn't it better for reliability?

can you please help me in this regard

best regards

rifo

0 Likes
ritu_2178811
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have checked the schematics of the super speed kit and indeed VIO_1 is being used as 3V3. I  believe that using the FPGA banks in 3V3 voltage level would be more robust. 

0 Likes

Hi riforifo,

Have you succeeded on programming the SP605?

I am on the same venture now and I'm getting some issues.

Regards,

0 Likes

Ok. As I said I tried doing it for SP605 and it worked!

I've uploaded the steps on how to do it on CYUSB3KIT-003_with_SP605_xilinx​ within the README.md file under the "Program FPGA" section.

Regards.

0 Likes