Is Cypress PSoC ARM Compiler free?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've been using CY8CKIT-049 for quite some time now, and, I must say that I am impressed with its capabilities.

I do plan to upgrade to a more powerful ARM core.

My question: is the compiler included in PSoC Creator free for beyond ARM-M0?

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may use a CY8CKit-043 prototyping kit which uses a PSoC-M series chip that has got DMA.

Have a look here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-043-psoc-4-m-series-prototyping-...

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The compiler itself (ARM GCC) is freely available. But I believe the PSOC Creator IDE is intended for use with cypress' products.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I was referring to ARM core in Cypress' PSoCs.

One of the reasons for me wanting to migrate to a more powerful core is because I needed a DMA controller in the PSoC (not available in M0).

I worry I am unable to financially support my projects if I go beyond M0 (compilers are expensive!).

Glad to know that it is free.

Thank you! 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You may use a CY8CKit-043 prototyping kit which uses a PSoC-M series chip that has got DMA.

Have a look here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-043-psoc-4-m-series-prototyping-...

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know how I overlooked this.

Thanks for the link! 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's like free samples from a pusher. It gets you hooked on the psoc way of doing things. Works with PSOC 4,5,6,7 (6&7 coming soon we hope). even starting to work with the spansion chips.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am already hooked to psoc 😛

Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I think, we have to be more precise:

The Gnu C Compiler package (GCC) for ARM is free.

The Cypress IDE is needed to define and set the properties of the internal PSoC hardware. Fortunately it is free as well.

Designing the sources can be done with any of the free and non-free IDEs (ie Eclipse) when hardware specs are finished.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment, I am not picky on IDEs as long as there is no compiler restriction.

Thank you for the clarification Bob!

0 Likes