kitprog with overvoltage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi, (hope this is a proper place to post this)

Some time ago i snapped off the kitprog of a CY8CKIT-059 kit, it was working properly, then i removed the D1 diode to be able to debug targets without feeding them with the kitprog voltage, it was working as expected.

Today i was trying to program a 049-42xx kit with it and the PSoC Programmer but it was detecting 21V at voltage source (see attached image, taken with just the kitprog plugged in, other kitprog have ~5V there).

I guess that mean the kitprog with 21V is broken?

Can it be fixed somehow?

Carlos

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Ideally,you should not remove diode D1,as it is required by Kitprog to set the correct voltage levels for  SWD programming 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The supply for the kitprog you just updated comes from USB and cannot be 21V. Something seems to be wrong, but I cannot say what.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

It means you supplied 21V to your target board (which, as you described, is powered externally). The Kitprog might survive that, since for measuring the voltage it probably uses a voltage divider which limits the currents. One needs to look into the schematic for that.

But your target circuit is most likely fried.

If you are sure that the voltage was always OK, and your target still works, then the KitProg is defect, yes.

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi, thanks for the comments, i flashed the target circuit with the other kitprog and semms to be working properly. When i tried to program the target board with the damaged kitprog i didn't saw the voltage reading,what i did was connect the VBUS pin on the kitprog to the target VDD, i guess making that damaged the kitprog, i'm not sure.

Good thing is kitprog is really cheap and got one more laying around :D.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Ideally,you should not remove diode D1,as it is required by Kitprog to set the correct voltage levels for  SWD programming 

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

do not rush to throw kitprog.
If you have good eyes or a microscope, you can connect the pins for programming it:

0 Likes