CYBLE-022001-00 Beaconing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiJa_2307936
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

I have a CYBLE-022001-00 EZ PRoC module. 

I wanted ensure that this model can advertise 25 bytes of manufacturing data to properly function as an iBeacon. I read that iBeacon requires a minimum of 25 bytes. 

Can someone guide me to the pdf that would have that information? How do I verify this requirement is met?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes, this is supported. The max size for ADV packets is 31 bytes for all BLE Devices (irrespective of the company). (Cypress BLE Datasheet also mentions that ADV Packet max size is 31 bytes)

25 bytes of these can be very well used as the manufacturer specific data.

I have attached a snapshot of our BLE Component settings where the manufacturer specific data is set more than 25 bytes.

Also, you can find an example project for the iBeacon in this link.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ectoyfan/e/d6798fa66f3c35985e18ff08d38c9a0f

Credits: ecotyfan

Regards,

-Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes, this is supported. The max size for ADV packets is 31 bytes for all BLE Devices (irrespective of the company). (Cypress BLE Datasheet also mentions that ADV Packet max size is 31 bytes)

25 bytes of these can be very well used as the manufacturer specific data.

I have attached a snapshot of our BLE Component settings where the manufacturer specific data is set more than 25 bytes.

Also, you can find an example project for the iBeacon in this link.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ectoyfan/e/d6798fa66f3c35985e18ff08d38c9a0f

Credits: ecotyfan

Regards,

-Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
NiJa_2307936
Level 1
Level 1

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your tact and unwavering professionalism. 

0 Likes
NiJa_2307936
Level 1
Level 1

You mentioned an iBeacon example, can I then assume this module can also support Eddystone?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure that assumption would be valid... Here is the page listing eddystone supporters:

https://developers.google.com/beacons/eddystone#beacon_manufacturers

I don't see cypress listed on there, but since the eddystone format is open, I would assume that you can implement a compatible format.

0 Likes

last post, promise...... I think I found the answer.  In this link under Key Features, and under Supported Modules and Kits (128Kb Flash) , and lastly under User Guide. The EZ-Serial firmware platform will allow me to configure my device to the iBeacon and Eddystone spec. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct here; EZ-Serial does provide a simple way to set up basic Eddystone beaconing. The other comments are also correct, in that Eddystone is just a specific set of functionality on top of standardized BLE stack layers, and therefore any of our BLE products are capable of implementing it since they all conform to the relevant Bluetooth specification.

You might also want to check out this example project, which provides a ready-to-go Eddystone implementation with full PSoC Creator source code:

https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE/tree/master/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Project050...

0 Likes

thank you for your reply. 

0 Likes
NiJa_2307936
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah I saw that link as well, thanks for you response. I agree that I think this module can support Eddystone, but I haven't found any documentation that explicitly states if it does or not. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like the list of companies in the link refer to companies that produce an api specifically for the eddystone protocol, whereas cypress is only the chip manufacturer (although nordic is too, and they are listed on the link).

The eddystone format isn't related to the BLE hardware imo, but rather the API and software backend of the code running on the chip/radio. If you are looking for something that is a drop-in for eddystone, my guess is that cypress doesn't have it; however, if you are just looking for a radio that supports the eddystone protocol, then really any bluetooth radio that has the necessary hardware to send bluetooth packets will work as long as you provide the necessary software backend on the chip to support the required eddystone functionality.

0 Likes

I think it'll work and the attached image (came from CYBLE-022001-00 data sheet under functional capabilities) is my justification, although I wish I had better. 

Thanks again for your response. 

0 Likes

Another link, under bluetooth Qualifications, the EZ-BLE Modules are qualified with the BT SIG. 

0 Likes