Issues In PSoC Creator Videos

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaRe_2236336
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

I have been going through the tutorials for Creator. The tutorials use an older version and this may be where my problems lie; however, in lesson 4 hardware pins, I cannot keep a resistive pull up drive mode and have HW connection checked for the switch. The only drive mode that can be used is high impedance digital. After running the wire and trying to program CY8CKIT-145-40XX, I recieve error "multiple drivers on signal".

The next video seems to use items from the component catalog that are not in my catalog. The components I'm looking for are a not gate, and a toggle flip-flop. Is there another library that I need to download?

Forgive me if these are basic questions or I'm overlooking something, I'm new to using creator, hence the tutorial watching. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
11 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Please post your code so we can check it.

0 Likes

For the hardwire pins (lesson 4) there is no code. It is simply an input switch and an LED as an output. The idea is to run wire from the input pin to the output pin. No code is needed for the switch to power the LED in this way. The same is as follows for the second video mentioned (lesson 5).

http://www.cypress.com/training/psoc-101-video-tutorial-series-how-use-arm-cortex-m0-based-psoc-4

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

One thing that you need to do when you are using a Cypress Kit is to check the Schematic to insure that the pins you have selected for your project is not used by other components on your kit. 

0 Likes

Right, I'm using the LED pins as my output pins, and for an input I'm using switch 2. I verified that I am using the correct pins for these. Also, these pins worked in the previous exercises.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

P0(2) that they used in the Video for the onboard LED  is connected to the Capsense slider on your board so that is your issue.  The training film was for the Psoc Pioneer kit.  Here is the Schematic for you to check. Also the example in the Video stated that you should not check the Hardware connection in the Config settings.

0 Likes
DaRe_2236336
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

I understand that the LEDs are connected to the the Capsense slider, and that the videos are for the pioneer kit (there are no videos for this kit), but why wont they work as Hardware outputs? They worked as coded outputs operated by SW2 in previous lessons. Lesson 4 actually tells you to check the hardware connection @ 43s, if you don't there is no way to draw the wires in the schematic.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I have tried this using the example #4 on the CY8CKIT-145-40XX. It complains about Digital placement . I will try to determine what the issue is. Also the Led's that are on the external wings. are not seen by the software as they are not connected to the main device.  I did try this example on the Psoc Pioneer board and it worked as expected.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I have opened a case for you and I will let you know what happens.

0 Likes
DaRe_2236336
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

Thanks

0 Likes
EmHo_296241
Level 5
Level 5
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi Regand,

The video is based on PSoC Pioneer kit which uses PSoC 42xx device. But the kit you are using is 40xx family. 40xx family doesn't have a DSI(Digital Signal Interconnect - an extensive fabric of programmable switches which connect signal). The routing between GPIO happens through DSI in 42xx devices. I think that is why the example will not work in your device.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Here is what Cypress said about your issue. I am able to recreate the issue at our end. The I/O Cell Architecture in PSoC 4100/4200 has GPIO_DSI to digital logic where as PSoC 4000 does not have such an option. Thus we are not able to control output pin as selected, imposed by architectural limitation. Instead, since both posses GPIO_PRTx_DR connection, we can achieve the functionality using software. Please refer to I/O Cell Architecture in Architecture TRM in case of any difficulties (page no:43 and 54 of http://www.cypress.com/file/126386/download and http://www.cypress.com/file/126171/download respectively).

From my understanding DSI connection is not provided due to lack of UDBs in PSoC 4000, for which DSI connection is essential to connect outside components. Whereas fixed function blocks like PWMs will have dedicated pins associated with.  So the bottom line is your kit doesn't work like the one that the video uses.  I would suggest that you get an 043 or an 044 kit so that your examples work for you.  The Kit you have is for experiments with PSOC CapSense. Check the two manuals and they should explain the issue. 

0 Likes