Multiple DFFs vs ShiftRegister as delay line on Routed Clock

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very simple design (attached).  I'm comparing implementing a shift register (as a delay line) vs a series of DFFs.  The delay line runs off of a routed clock (asynchronous to HFCLK).

The issue I'm having is with shift register component (v2.30).  Using the shift register from a routed clock gives the warning:

Warning: sta.M0021: Design01_timing.html: Warning-1350: Asynchronous path(s) exist from "CyRouted2" to "CyHFCLK". See the timing report for details. (File=<...>\Design01.cydsn\Design01_timing.html)

In addition, the shift register does not work as expected:

• When using the routed clock (as is in the attached project):     

• The 2-bit shift register delays the data pulse by ONE clock period (NOT EXPECTED)
    •       
    • The 2 DFFs delay the data pulse by TWO clock periods, as expected
    •      
  •     
  • If I change the routed clock to a New Clock created from HFCLK (NOT as is in the attached project):     

• The 2-bit shift register delays the data pulse by TWO clock periods, as expected
    •       
    • The 2 DFFs delay the data pulse by TWO clock periods, as expected
    •      
  •    

My misunderstanding is in how the ShiftRegister component works.  Specifically, why is it using the HFCLK at all?

Brian

0 Likes
1 Reply
EmHo_296241
Level 5
Level 5
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

I think the Shift register clock will be synchoronized with the bus clock. That will be causing the issue. You may use an sync component may be.

0 Likes