CY8CKIT-142 DOA?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I purchased a CY8CKIT-142 to experiment a bit with the bluetooth LP radio. I am very familiar with cypress's tool chain, since I've been using cypress PSoCs for several different projects over the past 4 years, and I found it very simple to use. 

Right out of the box, I snapped off 5 male header pins, stuck it in my miniprog3, and then stuck the 5 pins (triple checking my orientation) into the kit-142. Unfortunately, through PSoC Creator, the miniprog3 didnt see the PSoC4 on the kit-142. I tried many different settings, including powering it at 3.3V and 5V. As well as power cycle and reset acquire modes, different clock frequencies, and even toggling between 5-pin and 10-pin connectors. NOTHING. I have replaced the 5pin header thinking the contacts may be too short with standard 22AWG wire, still with same result.

Unfortunately the only thing I have to work with at home is my DMM, and my CY8CKIT-050. On Monday I can use my scope at work to further probe around, but I was excited to get some prototyping done this weekend.

I have verified that at least the 10-pin SWD setting on the miniprog3 works by just connecting it to my kit-050. It detects the PSoC5 just fine. 

I would greatly appreciate if anyone had any ideas/tips.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

In order to recreate the issue ,I tried programming CY8CKIT-142 with MiniProg3 alone,for that you have to go to the Tools>Options>Program/Debug>Port Configuration>MiniProg3 in Creatorand do the settings as shown in the image attached

I was able to program CY8CKIT-142 (via MiniProg3) by these settings and connecting correct 5pins(VDDD,GND,XRES,P0.7 & P0.6 on CY8CKIT-142)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Did you update the PSOC programmer software? What version of Psoc Creator are you using?  Check these pictures for the proper use of the Miniprog 3.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am running psoc programmer 3.24.2, PSOC creator 3.3 CP2.

I have my miniprog 3 connected EXACTLY like that.

I ran through those steps. at step 8, nothing is detected.

I will update to psoc programmer 3.25 and retry

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating to psoc programmer 3.25 did not help. Still same outcome.

When selecting debug target in psoc creator, it shows: "MiniProg3 version 2.05 [3.08/2.08]"

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Update your PSoC Creator to the latest version, 4.0 update 1

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
        So you don't have the Ble pioneer board to plug the module into. Then it appears that your device may be defective.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill upgrade to 4.0 and see if that helps. Is the 24MHz crystal required for the SWD to work?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have upgraded to PSoC Creator 4.0. I still don't see it in PSoC Creator's debug targets menu. However, I see that in PSoC programmer, I can read from the device, and that the CY8C4247 device is being seen. Is this PSoC device supported by the PSoC creator debug chain? Or is there no debug capability, just flashing the hex file through PSoC Programmer?

So my kit-142 is NOT DOA.

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Are you able to program the device from PSoC programmer?

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I realized that PSOC programmer was working with the device. I assumed PSOC Creator would support it through the debugging interface, but it doesn't seem like the case.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order for you to run the PSoC creator in debugger mode, you will need to make sure the SWD pins are set to Debug under the System settings in the project, otherwise the code will set them to GPIO, and the device won't be able to use the SWD link to debug the project.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@e.pratt_1639216 I chose SWD for the debug select under the system settings, built the code, and flashed it using psoc programmer.

I still don't see the PSoC4 device under debug targets, only the miniprog3, and it shows that there is no device tethered to it.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

In order to recreate the issue ,I tried programming CY8CKIT-142 with MiniProg3 alone,for that you have to go to the Tools>Options>Program/Debug>Port Configuration>MiniProg3 in Creatorand do the settings as shown in the image attached

I was able to program CY8CKIT-142 (via MiniProg3) by these settings and connecting correct 5pins(VDDD,GND,XRES,P0.7 & P0.6 on CY8CKIT-142)

0 Likes