HELP PLEASE amplification using only PSoC 5lp components

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, for my college thesis I'm trying to implemet ecg amplifer without any external components(!!!), and I need some help. I'm using PSoC 5lp cy8ckit-059. I found this picture of ecg amplifier circuit somewhere (attached 1st pic). First two PGAs are instrumentation amplifier. I also found that for instrumentation amplifier PGA gain has to be 2. (2nd pic). But I have to achieve amplification somewhere aroud 1000. So if i put the 3rd PGA (after filters) G=50, with first two PGAs (before filter) G=2, where can i squeeze the rest needed amplificaiton=5 (or 4) so the whole amplification is 2*2*50*5=1000 (or 2*2*50*4=800)? 

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        And why ECG needs gain of 1000? Let's calculate resolution at the input of 20-bit DelSig_ADC in differential more with buffer scale set to V(-) +/-.125Vref: V=(+/-) 0.125 * 1.024V / 2^20 = 0.12uV. This is very high precision without using any amplifier in front of ADC, input noise will be much higher than that. Should you use ADC_SAR, OpAmp would be appropriate.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        And why ECG needs gain of 1000? Let's calculate resolution at the input of 20-bit DelSig_ADC in differential more with buffer scale set to V(-) +/-.125Vref: V=(+/-) 0.125 * 1.024V / 2^20 = 0.12uV. This is very high precision without using any amplifier in front of ADC, input noise will be much higher than that. Should you use ADC_SAR, OpAmp would be appropriate.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I configure DelSig_ADC if I want to measure ECG signal? 

So, input mode-differential, resolution-20, and what about other parameters (such as input range etc)?

Thank you very much in advance

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

I did it exactly as odissey1 says
Perhaps it will help you, but this is a very old project:
for PSoC Creator 1.0 :       ECG_PGA.zip
it's here   http://mylab.wmsite.ru/moi-razrab/kardiograf