KY8KIT-059 USB Shield Not Connected

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

The schematic shows that the USB Micro-B receptacle shield should be connected to the board's GND by way of a 100K resistor and 0.01uF capacitor in parallel. All my copies have no solder in the receptacle mounting holes that would make this connection. Once I add solder myself the components test present.

It doesn't make much difference because 3 of the 4 USB cables I tested don't have a shield.

I'm trying to determine if the RC connection is best, or direct connection of the shield to GND is better. Both are recommended by skilled designers. I haven't seen anyone recommend open-circuit.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I have learnt that a shield should be set up on one side only to avoid loops. Furthermore the side selected should be on the side where the power supply electronics are. This will be the USB host side and not the PSoC5.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I have learnt that a shield should be set up on one side only to avoid loops. Furthermore the side selected should be on the side where the power supply electronics are. This will be the USB host side and not the PSoC5.

Bob

0 Likes