PSoC 4 CapSense Tuner - There was an error reading data from the device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using the PSoC CY8CKIT-145-40XX Prototyping Kit. It has a PSoC 4 CY8C4045AZI-S413 IC.

I have been trying all week just to use the tuner application. I have used the example code that was already available through the PSoC creator. I have followed all the steps correctly, even double checked (more than double) that the configuration parameters are the same for both the Tuner and EZI2C. 

I have attached the MINIMAL workspace bundle. Any Advice would help. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

0 Likes
12 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum.

Do not use debugging and tuner at the same time. Set the debug mode to "gpio" in system view to disable debugging.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying!

I did set the Debugging mode to GPIO, but that did not solve the issue. But how does this affect the tuning process? I'd like to know if you wouldn't mind.

Volodymyr Medvid was right. PSoC Creator threw an error when I changed the Pin lock (and by the way it did not allow me to drag the function over to the pins, I had to enter it in the drop down field). Both the SCL and SDA pins were invalid and are were not allowed to be routed to those pins; but as soon as I rebuilt the project, the error disappeared. 

0 Likes
VMED
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted
        Hi, in the above project EZI2C scl/sda lines are connected to wrong pins - should be P1[0], P1[1], not P3[0], P3[1]. Kindly refer to CY8CKIT-145-40XX_Kit_Guide.pdf, section 3.2.5 "USB-I2C Bridge", also see Firmware\PSoC 4000S\CE210709 CapSense Linear Slider and Buttons (also available with the kit installation) - a working project with the EZI2C CapSense Tuner enabled.   
0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Volodymyr ! I had been working on UART for sometime, and i must have mistaken the UART pins for the I2C. It works fine now. 

But when i tried changing the pin lock information it set the pin as invalid and then after rebuilding the project it resolved the error on its own. I'd like to know why - I have attached a screenshot of the same. (ignore the SDA pin at P3[1], its shows the same error once i change it back to P1[1]).

0 Likes
VMED
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted
        CY8C4045AZI-S413 has 2 SCB blocks - SCB[0] with i2c_scl/i2c_sda assignable to either P1[0]/P1[1] or P4[0]/P4[1], and SCB[1] - to P0[4]/P0[5], P2[0]/P2[1], or P3[0]/P3[1]. The error from the guided pin selector correctly indicates that you cannot have single EZI2C instance assigned to P1[0]/P3[1] - that wouldn't work. Whenever you assign both scl and sda to valid pair of pins like P1[0]/P1[1], the error should be gone. Sometimes it takes a little time for the pin selector to re-elaborate the current pin assignments.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, it did work 🙂

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, 

I have the same problem, but this time with a different chip. I'm using the CY8C4247AZI-L445 to interface a touchpad using USB HID. I'm still in the first phase where im trying to get the CapSense Tuner application to display valid touches as i move my finger around the touchpad. I have configured the CapSense configured as a Touchpad itself with 10 rows and 10 columns.

I've learnt from my previous mistakes and verified that the I2C pins are correct and that Debugging has been disabled. 

I set up the connection in the Tuner application as directed by the PSoC manuals for CapSense Tuner. I even checked if all the parameters match the ones set in the EZI2C used in the project. I have attached the (minimal) project bundle.

Any inputs would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Prithvi Raj Prakash

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I would like to know which Kit you are using to check schematics.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Bob, I'm not using any kit that Cypress manufactures. I'm using only the chip in a project.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Then check your I2C connection to the kitprog, pull up resistors, correct input to Kitprog, check for voltage 5V. Program and component settings seem to be ok.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Bob. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Another thing  I noticed was that, the I2C lines used by the Miniprog are different and the I2C lines used by the EZI2C are different. Shouldn't they be the same. In that case, i can't route the I2C lines form the EZI2C to the SWD CLK and SWDIO, which is the ones used by the Miniprog3. I dont have the option to physically route the pins to the Miniprog. 

Am i making sense or should it just be two different lines?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Create a support case, I am not quite sure about connecting the I2C lines to Miniprog3. At top of this page Design Support -> Create a Support Case.

Bob

0 Likes