JTAG Debugging over USB Serial

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I receieved FX3 Dev board. I see that it has CY7C65215 USB Serial Dual chip which is supposed to be used as a JTAG debugger. Over the USB3.0, I am able to flash firmware etc, so all is happy with my dev board. When I connect to USB serial, it shows up appropriately on COM port.

I am following instructions from the help manual to launch the debugger. The board is in bootloader mode. However when I start the JLINK GDB server, it is not able to detect the USB Emulator. Is this the right interpretation? Can I do OpenOCD style USB JTAG debugging or do I need a SEGGER to actually connect to JTAG pins on the FX3 board? I don't know if JTAG pins are available either... 

Can you please help me understand this better?

- Sushant

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: on windows, and Mac, I have been unable to configure OpenOCD to connect to target. I am able to compile on both the OS. On windows I followed the suggestion to start the OpenOCD server before trying to attach, but to no avail

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resolved this for Mac:

How to Build and Debug Projects

You need to follow all the instructions in the document titled "Using the FX3 SDK under Mac OS, Version 1.3.3"

Pro Tip #1: After importing Projects into Eclipse, add the Build Environment Variables viz FX3_INSTALL_PATH, ARMGCC_VERSION in the Project specific C/C++ Build settings

Build the Project

Ensure the USB Serial Debugger chip is detected by Mac. It will be a tty.usbmodem device under /dev

Refer to the Document "EZ-USB Suite User Guide, Version 1.3.3"

You will find instructions pertaining to building OpenOCD for Mac

Once it is built, drive to the install location on terminal. 

Replace ../config/arm926ejs_FX3.cfg with attached (rename from .txt to .cfg before replacing) This will take care of disabling Fast Memory Access

Launch the OpenOCD manually using the command:

./openocd -c gdb_port 3333 -c telnet_port 4444 -f ../Config/arm926ejs_FX3.cfg

In the Eclipse Debug options, un-check the Launch OpenOCD locally. This will ensure, you will connect to already running process

0 Likes