CY8CKIT-037 with stepper motor / wrong recommendation in user guide?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

I want to drive the -037 board with a stepper motor. The kits user manual states a stepper motor type 42BYGH403AA or similar. I tried to find a datasheet for comparison with my stepper motor, but it seems that a datasheet for the 42B... motor is rare.

Anyway, I found a site containing information about several types of 42B's, and the type 403 seems to be a 2.4V type. So, now I'm confused: if I understand the -037 kit schematic correctly, the motor will be driven with Vin, which is the input voltage on the power connectors J7/J8 and should be between 7-70V.

Anyone can confirm the 42B..403 type (and can provide a datasheet), or is this really the wrong type number?

Regards

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I found in the kit, it merely states that the stepper motor needs to meet the electrical specifications of the board, not a specific motor type per-say. I got the datasheet through mouser.com however, so I'm not sure if it is accurate. 

"CY8CKIT-037 does not provide a stepper motor in the kit package. However, the kit does support a stepper motor controlled with microstep from hardware and firmware. A Stepper Motor Control example project is included in the kit installation directory. To demonstrate this project, you need to connect your stepper motor to the CY8CKIT-037 kit. The only requirement for the motor is that the power range should meet the kit spec."

This is the datasheet I found for the motor you were looking for, but the voltage rating says 2v, so oh well: http://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/38/Sinotech/CA95E763-B9E2-4EE2-9819-A00BF2793567

​Here is a document from Hetai Motor that contains data on a bunch of 42BYGH motors: http://www.promoco-motors.com/products/StepperMotors/42BYGH%20Series.pdf

Since the board is more or less customizable, you can always tweak it to match the motor (at least to some extent).

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

okay, that confirms my assumptions. I have a 12V motor here, and I think it should work with the -037 without modifications.

Thank you.

Regards

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

Your 12 V motor should work without any modification in 037 kit.

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The voltage rating of a stepper motor only tells you that at a constant voltage 'V' you will have the rated current 'I' through the coils. Most all stepper drivers these days are a constant current output. So, if you motor is rated at 1A you set the stepper drive to deliver 1A. The higher the power supply voltage the better, up to a point, as it will help overcome the inductance of the motor windings, i.e. let you build up to the desired current faster. Over a certain voltage the motor will just produce more heat and the performance will not be enhanced. A rough rule of thumb is 32*sqrt(inductance) where inductance is in mill-henrys (from Gecko stepper drive company.)

0 Likes