Implement bluetooth 4.2 features in cy8ckit-042-ble

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I've just bought a CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit (the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A was not available).

My question is: Is it possible to implement BLE 4.2 features (using a CY8CKIT-143A module with BT 4.2 radio) with the 042-BLE Pioneer Kit?

Thank you!

Jesús

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

From all appearances they are pretty similar;

I believe the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A version has newer chips on the Module Boards that are 256KB versus the 128KB on the Module Boards for the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit.

Also, the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A explicitly supports the BLE version 4.2 features/hardware, whereas the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit doesn't necessarily support it. (Quite possible it is only a software difference and can be updated to be equivalent).

All in all, if all you need is the ability to test/program CYBLE chips, then either one should work. The -A version is probably the newer kit.

You should be able to program the CY8CKIT-143A quite easily on either one.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

They should socket together and work well for testing/implementing the BLE 4.2 features.

I'm not entirely sure if you are asking if the module will work with the kit, or if the module itself will support BLE 4.2 features?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, e.pratt for your quick answer.

As i am going to use  CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit instead of the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A (it allows to develop BLE 4.2 solutions), i'm not sure if i'll be able to program BLE 4.2 devices (CY8CKIT-143A). If so,  what is the difference between 042-BLE and 042-BLE-A?

Thanks again!!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

From all appearances they are pretty similar;

I believe the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A version has newer chips on the Module Boards that are 256KB versus the 128KB on the Module Boards for the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit.

Also, the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A explicitly supports the BLE version 4.2 features/hardware, whereas the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Kit doesn't necessarily support it. (Quite possible it is only a software difference and can be updated to be equivalent).

All in all, if all you need is the ability to test/program CYBLE chips, then either one should work. The -A version is probably the newer kit.

You should be able to program the CY8CKIT-143A quite easily on either one.

0 Likes