ADC Single Sample mode funny behaviour

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to work with Sigma-Delta ADC in single-sample mode for 16 bit in PSoC 5. I am testing my ADC by feeding it with 20Hz sine wave. This sine wave is generated by waveform DAC.

For 60 samples at sampling interval of 5 milli-sec about 6 peaks are expected from the ADC output [(60 *5ms)/50ms =6]. However I see 9 peaks when the raw ADC samples are plotted. I have attached the screenshot of the same.

Note :- I have checked the waveform DAC on the oscilloscope and 20Hz was observed.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

I am also attaching the project bundle.

My main.c looks something like this:

#define NO_SAMPLES 60
#define SAMPLING_INTERVAL_MS 5
#include <project.h>
#include<ADC_DelSig_1.h>

uint8 count=0;
int32 samples[NO_SAMPLES];

int main()
{

CyGlobalIntEnable; /* Enable global interrupts. */
    WaveDAC8_1_Start();
    ADC_DelSig_1_Start();

/* Place your initialization/startup code here (e.g. MyInst_Start()) */

for(count =0; count<NO_SAMPLES;count++)
    {
        ADC_DelSig_1_StartConvert();
        if(ADC_DelSig_1_IsEndConversion(ADC_DelSig_1_WAIT_FOR_RESULT)!=0)
        {
            samples[count]=ADC_DelSig_1_GetResult32();
        }
        ADC_DelSig_1_StopConvert();
        CyDelay(SAMPLING_INTERVAL_MS);
    }   

}

0 Likes
6 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

When you need exact timing, start your conversion based on a timer (via ISR). The way you are doing it now your delay is 5ms+time_for(conversion)+time_for(start_convert)+time_for(read_result)+time_for(stop_convert).

If you want to test this, toogle a pin with each _GetResult and maybe _StartConvert, and check their timing with the scope.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Your waveDAC frequency is 20kHz, your ADC sampling rate is only 200Hz (to be more precise about 150Hz). So what do you expect to see???

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

"Aliasing" is the answer 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wavedac frequency is 20Hz not 20Khz. So I do not think aliasing would be an issue here.My concern is why am I not getting 5ms(200Hz) as the sampling frequency? Why is there so much deviation ?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Sorry, misread. It takes 2.18 ms after StartConvert() until a sample is ready, then you wait another 5 ms using CyDelay(). So there is no aliasing possible. When you want to measure in equal time slices I would suggest using a hardware trigger (timer) for the ADC soc signal and a high conversion rate (5 -10ksps). You even might use the eoc signal to trigger an interrupt that reads out the converted value (no waiting needed).

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

This time I tried by triggering the ADC's SOC by a counter, and getting samples in the ISR; interrupt triggered by ADC's EOC. 

This is very accurate. I am also attaching the ADC results.

0 Likes