I need an ADC can take Negative voltage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there,    

I have a project that required a bidirectional ADC which can take negative and positive voltages.    

What is the best solution to do so using PSoC 5LP? I have MAXREFDES5#, and I am thinking about using it, but I know the design will be complex. If these is a suggestion or an example code that would help me to build my design faster I would be grateful. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You need a resistor network to shift the expected input voltage into the range (roughly) GND .. VDDA.

Look at this thread which I found by putting "negative voltage" into the search field at top of this page.

Bob

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You need a resistor network to shift the expected input voltage into the range (roughly) GND .. VDDA.

Look at this thread which I found by putting "negative voltage" into the search field at top of this page.

Bob

odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Alqasir, since you already have MAXREFDES5 why not to try it? All it takes is to connect some wires to read an SPI. At the end it all depends on specs requirements: isolation, input range, bit resolution, sampling speed etc.

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

Perhaps a simpler version is required

using PSoC (TIA +DAC)

ADS7835   ±2.5V  Analog Input        psoc projects   

ads8675 (SPI )

And you can use  CY7C65211( PSoC® 4 CY8CKIT-049 )   as an  USB to I2C/SPI bridge
http://mylab.wmsite.ru/moi-razrab/cy7c65211/

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for replying. The info you provided is very helpful. Do you have a sample working project for the level shifter method?

Something like variant 2 in the picture attached.

Thanks!

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

Option 2 I use when there is no free DAC.
Unfortunately I do not have a ready project.
Another version of the scheme (the shift and amplification are independent):

0 Likes