CCG2 Application

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am currently designing an application using USB Type-C as a main power connector.

My power requirements are close to 25W so according to my understanding, I have to use the PD protocol provided by the Type-C Standard.

My power chain looks like this :

• Apple 87W Type-C PSU (PD 5V@2.4A, PD 9V@3A, PD 20@4.2A) <--> Apple Type-C (EMCA) cable <-->  My PowerPCB <-> My ApplicationPCBs
  •     
  • My PowerPCB has a lot of mechanical constraints (size mainly) due to the Plastic enclosure designed for the project and therefore I was thinking about the CCG2 IC to be my PD Delivery controller.
  •    

I have a few questions about that IC :

• Can the CCG2 act as an endpoint and negotiate the PDO (9V@3A) with the Apple PSU by itself ?
  •     
  • If the answer is positive, is that easy to program the CCG2 to behave as described above using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility ?
  •    

I'm not familiar with the Cypress development tools but it looks pretty straightforward to use, generate the code and then program using a MiniProg3.

Can you please comment and let me know if the solution suggested above makes sense for my application ?

Best regards,

Mathieu

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Mathieu,

1. Please kindly refer my comments as below for your concerns:

• Can the CCG2 act as an endpoint and negotiate the PDO (9V@3A) with the Apple PSU by itself ?

>> Yes, CCG2 can do it after you added 9V@3A into sink PDO.

• If the answer is positive, is that easy to program the CCG2 to behave as described above using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility ?

>> Yes. It is easy to programming the CCG2 using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility via I2C bootloadering.

2. Can you please comment and let me know if the solution suggested above makes sense for my application ?

1) For hardware design, we could like to recommend you take a look CY4521 schematic, which is DRP and data source design, for your project, you just need keep consumer path is okay.

2) For firmware design, we could like to recommend you install EZ-PD configuration Utility, CCGx SDK, and go through the user guide of this two tools. And begin firmware customize (just for GPIOs, I2C,...) based on your requirements.

3) For programming, CYPD2122 (all of part number could get from Order Information of datasheet) can support SWD programming and I2C bootloadering.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Mathieu,

1. Please kindly refer my comments as below for your concerns:

• Can the CCG2 act as an endpoint and negotiate the PDO (9V@3A) with the Apple PSU by itself ?

>> Yes, CCG2 can do it after you added 9V@3A into sink PDO.

• If the answer is positive, is that easy to program the CCG2 to behave as described above using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility ?

>> Yes. It is easy to programming the CCG2 using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility via I2C bootloadering.

2. Can you please comment and let me know if the solution suggested above makes sense for my application ?

1) For hardware design, we could like to recommend you take a look CY4521 schematic, which is DRP and data source design, for your project, you just need keep consumer path is okay.

2) For firmware design, we could like to recommend you install EZ-PD configuration Utility, CCGx SDK, and go through the user guide of this two tools. And begin firmware customize (just for GPIOs, I2C,...) based on your requirements.

3) For programming, CYPD2122 (all of part number could get from Order Information of datasheet) can support SWD programming and I2C bootloadering.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes