Changing the frequency of WCO in the clock section of .cydwr

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1669321
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

I have a project that says in the "Clocks" section of the Design Wide Resources that my WCO is 32.000 kHz. However, I know that it is 32.768 kHz (I'm using CYBLE-014008-00). I don't know how it got changed, but the only way that I've been able to change it back to 32768 was by overwriting the XML code of the .cydwr file.

Before:

<Data key="desired_freq" value="32" />
        <Data key="desired_unit" value="3" />

After:

<Data key="desired_freq" value="32768" />
        <Data key="desired_unit" value="0" /> 

Is this method allowed? Will I break something by doing so?

Thank you,

Fred

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fred,

Even though the table in the Design Wide Resources file says that the WCO frequency is "32kHz", it is actually "32.768kHz". So, you don't have to modify anything unless you want the table to read 32.768. You don't have to modify anything, PSoC knows that the WCO frequency is 32.768kHz and it is expecting the same.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

It should be possible in the clock section of the DWR to set the actual WCO frequency. If not, you might raise a support case with Cypress (top right corner, 'MyCases')

0 Likes
user_1669321
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Well, I can't modify it by clicking/right-clicking on it. If I double-click, it opens the "Configure System Clocks" on the "Low Frequency Clocks" tab, but I can't modify the value of the WCO frequency.

What's the normal method to change it?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Oh, I forgot that on the BLE the WCO is internal to the chip (on the PSoC5 its an external crystal so you can actually set the frequency). I think your method will work, but to be sure you need to ask Cypress.

You might try to change the selected device (e.g. to a 4200L device or so) and see whether this will overwrite the setting. If not, you can always recreate the project from scratch and copy over the schematic and the code.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fred,

Even though the table in the Design Wide Resources file says that the WCO frequency is "32kHz", it is actually "32.768kHz". So, you don't have to modify anything unless you want the table to read 32.768. You don't have to modify anything, PSoC knows that the WCO frequency is 32.768kHz and it is expecting the same.

0 Likes