Create new symbol: to version or not version the name

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

In page 28 of the Component Author Guide it says:

5. Enter the Component name, including version information.

Is that a doc mistake and should it just say "Enter the Component name" ?

Tony

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        It is good practice to add version number (e.g. name_v0_0). But you can change the name later. Just right-click component name in the Project Explorer panel and Rename the component, including this "_v0_0".   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
        It is good practice to add version number (e.g. name_v0_0). But you can change the name later. Just right-click component name in the Project Explorer panel and Rename the component, including this "_v0_0".   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I was confused by the screen captures not showing version.    

Another silly question.    I am creating a firmware only component.   I have the symbol created with a catalog location, and the .c/.h API files.   It does not show in the catalog pane in the test project.   For it to show in the catalog, I had to add an schematic with a pin.   I do have the "show hidden" in options.

What is the trick to force it to place in catalog ?   

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
        Check "\" symbols in the catalog placement root (symbol->properties->collection). Post project bundle for review (File->Create project bundle->Minimal).   
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got past that one.    In all the trial attempts I created a new workspace with library and test project but forgot to add the lib dependency.  

Now looking for next hurdle 🙂

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my first useful component working !!!    It provides the ability to put trace entries on a port for a logic analyzer.    I developed the actual code inline as part of a project I was debugging.    Then it occurred to me that it would be good to make a component out of it. 

Thank you Odissey

0 Likes