Dual Axis CapSense Proximity Gesturing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok guys, I've been trying to figure this out for quite some time now. Just need some direction.

From the PSoC example for CY8CKIT-024 for Proximity Gestures found here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an92239-proximity-sensing-capsense, the example allows for air gesturing using capacative proximity sensing in either the X-Axis or Y-Axis direction depending on the settings you choose in the code. However, I want both Axis' to work at the same time. The only way Ive been able to get this to work is using two separate PSoC's each driving a different axis, one for Y-Axis, and one for X-Axis. I want to do this using a single chip if possible. I converted a second copy of the original gesture source/header files to have each driving a different axis, however no matter what I seem to do, it only ends up driving the LEDs for the axis coded into the original gesture files (in this case, the X-Axis). I am using an older CapSense component, CapSense CSD [V2.60] along with the CY8CKIT-042-BLE kit for this particular *attempt* at development.

My questions are:

-Is it in my code? 

-Would this potentially only be possible if I port my code over to use the CapSense [v4.0] component and split up the X-Axis and Y-Axis into 2 separate proximity sensors each using 2 sensing elements?

-OR am I shit out of luck on this idea on one PSoC?

I have attached a .zip Bundle of my workspace below

Any Help Is Much Appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This needs to be implemented in the software. To begin with configure the proximity widget with 4 sensors so that all the parameters will be same for all the sensors.

Now to prevent both x axis and y axis to be triggered at the same time you  need to handle this in the software.

For example if you move your hand across the board from right to left and due to this the Sensor on the top and right get some raw counts.

You need to see which sensor has more coupling and then disable the other sensor. If Top sensor has more coupling disable the right sensor.

So now only top to bottom gesture will be scanned and do the same for the other axis as well.

Thanks,

Ranjith

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will definitely want two sensors for each axis; total 4 prox sensors. Otherwise, you will be using "magic" to make stuff work, and that never ends well! I haven't worked with the capsense, but looking at the component in the topdesign.cysch, it seems like you can have 4 proximity sensors with x-sensor elements for each one? Since the x-axis versus y-axis is most likely software processing, the issue is most likely in your code for getting the capsense to work for 4 different proximity sensors 😕

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This needs to be implemented in the software. To begin with configure the proximity widget with 4 sensors so that all the parameters will be same for all the sensors.

Now to prevent both x axis and y axis to be triggered at the same time you  need to handle this in the software.

For example if you move your hand across the board from right to left and due to this the Sensor on the top and right get some raw counts.

You need to see which sensor has more coupling and then disable the other sensor. If Top sensor has more coupling disable the right sensor.

So now only top to bottom gesture will be scanned and do the same for the other axis as well.

Thanks,

Ranjith

0 Likes