How to copy a former project (or workspace) and rename for new design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am starting up a new project and need to be able to copy a former project and make changes to it and rename and save as a completely new project (even workspace).  I can't take the chance of altering the old project in any way as well.

On other platforms I have simply copied the whole design (ie project folder and all subtending folders) and renamed the main folder and started modifying the new design.  Of course with Psoc Creator 4.0, you can't do that.

To make the challenge even tougher, I am trying to do this with a design that has two projects in the workspace (ie an Uart_bootloader and a bootloadable project, similar to the example bootloadable blinking led, actually using the Cy8ckit-049-4200).  I need to just be able to copy whole workspace some way and then reinsert into a new workspace where I can modify as a type of new revision if you will.

There must be a way of doing this.  I don't know if there is a trick to archiving and then restoring with a new workspace and/or name but I really need a method (even if it several steps) of doing this.  I work in a single workstation environment and don't want to complicate things with GITHUB at this point.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Easiest is to use the "Create Workspace Bundle..." from Creator's file menu. This gives you a compressed file which you may extract into a new folder.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Easiest is to use the "Create Workspace Bundle..." from Creator's file menu. This gives you a compressed file which you may extract into a new folder.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob, Thanks. I had used the archive under someone else's advice and it never worked good.  This seems to work well.  I am using it on every major code change and naming the new folder to be my subrevision.

The only other question I had was using this method the resultant hex file and ofcourse all the files still have the same naming pattern.  Ie, my first project was named xxxxver1.  As a result, using the create bundle does work good but the project name follows all the way thru development.  Is there a way to change the project name so as to not cause major problems (ie I maybe missing a step ie clean, or regenerate, etc but in the past when I have changed the name things get hosed up). Thanks again for your help

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Right click on workspace or project name in workspace explorer and change ther names as you like

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll try that again.

I think I had experimented with that formerly but at that time I had two projects in which I potentially had some other naming problems.

Thanks again

0 Likes