Simple Capacitive Switch with LEDs

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

I bought the CY8CKIT-040 PSoC 4000 pioneer kit about a year ago and it worked great for a project i needed it for back then, problem is i have forgotten most things i learned about it.

I am using PSoC Creater 4.1 and i would love a little help or advice from someone so i can get my head back around it.

I have a simple two track Capacitive switch. It has a center electrode and then a outside trace that is the ground.

I know how to change the pin so it reads the single electrode but i have no idea or understanding how to make the pin next to it perform as the ground pin for this switch.

Also i need to hook up one or two LEDs and what i would like to happen is for the controller to have the capacitive switch and leds plugged in and when the button is pushed/sensed for it to simply turn on the leds while it is being pushed.

I would of loved to of done a proximity sensor as well to light up a seperate LED for backlighting when a hand went near it but i dont think i have the time or skills to implement that as well.

I would appreciate any advice that could be given as i am a bit of a noob with this stuff.

Kind regards,

Darren

0 Likes
6 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Here is a program there is a PDF attached to the files to explain how it works. You may need to modify it to your use.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

I was able to use that and i can see the two leds there in this project but i cannot get it to work.

I plugged the positive part of the led into 3.3vdd and i plugged the opposite negative end into the pins required. The leds stay turned on and do not turn off.

I need the LEDs to only turn on when the capacitive part is pushed.

I am also having trouble getting the i2c i added working so i can access tuner.

I have added the components which i believe to be correct but i am wondering if i need to add some code which is the part i am not good at.

I

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Please post your code by clicking on file and then Create Workspace bundle and attach it to a new Comment by clicking on add Attachments.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

You need a  150 ohm resistor in line with your LED's to prevent damage to your leds.

0 Likes
lock attach
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Here is another Program that shows how to connect the LED's .

0 Likes
lock attach
DaC_1685686
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Bob,

All the examples i have found and you have shown all seem to have control LEDs by adjusting brightness etc..

I simply need it to turn off and on.

What I have done is using the file I have created that works with my single electrode drawn in the top view what i really need it to do.

I am unsure if it will work when you look at file or not but you will get a good idea of why i am having trouble.

I think i need the PWM component but unsure if that is indeed the correct one or how that works.

I have attached below.

Kind regards,

Darren 

0 Likes