How to gather info for STA link quality

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JeGu_2199941
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

What are the link-quality-related values that can be retrieved after a WICED device is associated to a WIFI AP?

Possible values in my mind now are : RSSI / noise / SNR / current data rate / packet lost

I already found that both APIs wwd_wifi_get_rssi & wwd_wifi_get_ap_info gives consistent RSSI values.

But what about others ?

Note:

- In my experiment wwd_wifi_get_ap_info always gives phy_noise = -91 and SNR = 0.

And wwd_wifi_get_noise always gives noise = -91 (same as above).

Exactly the same values are also presented by Cypress in this post.

I wonder if this is a long-existing issue.

- AP supported rates seems to be available from wwd_wifi_get_ap_info.

But current data rate is still unknown.

Platform : BCM94343W (Avnet Starter Kit)

SDK version : 4.0.1

0 Likes
1 Solution

The issue of fixed value of phy_noise=-91 is fixed in WICED Studio 5.2. Tested with platform BCM94343WWCD1.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

I could reproduce the issue of fixed value of phy_noise=-91 in the 4343W based Avnet starter kit. I reported this issue internally and it has been fixed in WLAN firmware version 7.45.98. I have requested the developers to incorporate this fix in the next release of WICED 5.x.

If by data rate you mean throughput, you can check it from the iperf app in WICED.

Also FYI,

Once wiced_bt_stack_init() is called, doing wifi scan will get strange (unreasonable) RSSI value sometimes.

You can test it by modify snip.scan.

0 Likes

grsr wrote:

I could reproduce the issue of fixed value of phy_noise=-91 in the 4343W based Avnet starter kit. I reported this issue internally and it has been fixed in WLAN firmware version 7.45.98. I have requested the developers to incorporate this fix in the next release of WICED 5.x.

How is the status? WICED 5.0.1 does not include this fix.

I have enquired internally with the developers. I will get back to you once I receive a response.

The issue of fixed value of phy_noise=-91 is fixed in WICED Studio 5.2. Tested with platform BCM94343WWCD1.

grsr wrote:

But the SNR value is still always 0.

wwd_wifi_get_ap_info( &ap_info, &sec );

printf ("SNR   : %d\n", ap_info.SNR) ;

0 Likes